Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot pair my remote with my Apple TV

I have a third-generation Apple TV (bought Christmas 2103) which once worked fine, still connects to my network and to the Internet, but now does not respond to my remote control. When I click a button on the remote, the light on the Apple TV blinks 3 times, which the manual says means the remote is not paired with it. I have followed the manual to re-pair it, and it appears to re=-pair normally, but when I try it again I still get the unpaired triple flash. Suggestions?

AppleTV 2, Other OS, 3d generation Apple TV

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 5:56 PM

Hey Pete,

You may need to use the steps below to unpair the remote, then pair it once more.

You can use any Apple Remote to unpair Apple TV from a remote. If you lose the Apple Remote that you paired with Apple TV, a replacement remote won't work until you unpair Apple TV from the lost remote. If your Apple TV status light (LED) blinks 3 times in quick succession when you press keys on the remote but fails to respond on-screen, try these steps to unpair your remote:

• On an aluminum Apple Remote, press and hold the Menu and Left buttons for 6 seconds.
  • On an earlier, white Apple Remote, press and hold the Menu and Previous/Rewind buttons for 6 seconds.

You can also use these steps:

1. Choose Settings > General > Remotes from the Apple TV main menu.
  2. Choose Unpair Apple Remote.

When you’ve successfully unpaired a remote, Apple TV displays a broken chainlink symbol (User uploaded file) above an icon of a remote. You can now pair Apple TV with a different remote.

Apple TV: Pairing and unpairing the Apple Remote
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201254

Regards,

Allen

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2015 5:56 PM in response to Pete Smith.N4ZR

Hey Pete,

You may need to use the steps below to unpair the remote, then pair it once more.

You can use any Apple Remote to unpair Apple TV from a remote. If you lose the Apple Remote that you paired with Apple TV, a replacement remote won't work until you unpair Apple TV from the lost remote. If your Apple TV status light (LED) blinks 3 times in quick succession when you press keys on the remote but fails to respond on-screen, try these steps to unpair your remote:

• On an aluminum Apple Remote, press and hold the Menu and Left buttons for 6 seconds.
  • On an earlier, white Apple Remote, press and hold the Menu and Previous/Rewind buttons for 6 seconds.

You can also use these steps:

1. Choose Settings > General > Remotes from the Apple TV main menu.
  2. Choose Unpair Apple Remote.

When you’ve successfully unpaired a remote, Apple TV displays a broken chainlink symbol (User uploaded file) above an icon of a remote. You can now pair Apple TV with a different remote.

Apple TV: Pairing and unpairing the Apple Remote
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201254

Regards,

Allen

I cannot pair my remote with my Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.