Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad stopped working after 12 months

My Ipad shut down while watching a video and would not restart. According to tech support at 2 Apple stores and online that hardware is broke and since my 12 month warranty is up I have no choice but to purchase a refurbished Ipad for $300+ that has only a 90 day warranty or purchase a new Ipad with no discount offered. I am disappointed Apple does not stand behind their products. We have 2 older Ipads in the family that are still robust and work well, just the newer Ipad (which was well taken care of). We had hoped at least for a discount on purchasing a new Ipad. The tech say it is my fault for not purchasing extended Icare... yet that is not an option with the refurbished Ipad. I cannot find a customer service rep that understands my questions & concerns and will only read off a script. Is there a way to contact someone at Apple who cares?

iPad, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 9:40 AM

4 replies

Apr 17, 2015 12:23 PM in response to SugarMountain

You could try an Apple store if one is near you, however you are simply relying on the staff to take pity on you to get a replacement that is out of warranty.

You can also call back Apple to see if you get any other support staff or try escalating by asking for higher up members of staff - but this may just result in you waisting time & getting more frustrated.

Refurbished models are basically new devices based on the reports on here - Apple replace so much that the device should be reliable, clean etc.

It may be your best option.

If you are still dissatisfied you could look at your consumer rights, there is often protections in place for goods to be 'fit for purpose' and have a 'reasonable lifespan', this will vary per country and per region and you may want legal advice before beginning.

Another option you have is to look elsewhere for a repair, Apple don't repair these devices they simply offer replacements. Other companies will offer repairs.

There are many places online that sell parts too if you are willing & able to repair it yourself - obviously voiding the warranty and any chance of more support from Apple if you or anyone else opens the device. Diagnosing the issue is your biggest battle with that, combine that with how intricate the parts are & how it is put together you have more to lose than gain by opting to go that route.

Ipad stopped working after 12 months

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.