Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you open multiple windows into one or more books?

I am currently finishing up a fairly large iBook textbook. It would be useful to be able to go between different parts of the document directly, especially as there is checking and cross-linking going on. I do this when working in Word. Is it possible to open more than one window into a book, or multiple books simultaneously?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 1:07 PM

3 replies

Apr 13, 2015 1:13 PM in response to N.W.J. Hazelton

Actually, I may have found the solution to this. You can open multiple books simultaneously in different windows. So if a copy was made of a book, it could be opened in one window while the 'working' copy is in another. Not ideal, but a work-around.

The primary need for me is after I add a figure, I go to the section which has all the credits to add those details, so it's back and forth through the book. It would be easier if I had another window with that part of the book in it.

Apr 15, 2015 8:04 AM in response to N.W.J. Hazelton

Take care not to duplicate *.iba files. If you do, the *.ibooks files created with them will all have the same internal IDs. These IDs are neither visible nor changable. This causes identity problems in the iBooks app. Opening book A might actually result in book B opening because they have the same ID. Always create *.iBA files from a template.

So your tactic is effective but dangerous. This problem is easily solved by using File > Save as template ... to create another copy of your *.iba file. It's an extra step but it insures that you will not accidentally create two or more *.ibooks files with the same internal ID.

I discovered this the hard way when I taught a private iTunes U course containing six *.ibooks files created with duplicated *.iba files. The books were issued sequentially so by the third book, we were all totally confused as to what was happening and why. Once I got the answer (from Apple), I created new templates for each book and exported new *.ibooks files. That solved the problem.

Can you open multiple windows into one or more books?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.