Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Yosemite 10.10.3 now enable Mac Mini 2014 to drive 4K SST displays at 60z?

Per Using 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac - Apple Support update 10 APR 15, Apple indicates Yosemite 10.10.3 now enables the late 2014 Mac Mini to drive 4K SST displays @ 60z. Several others on the web have said this isn't accurate. Before I buy a new display, can someone clarify the situation? Can this software update enable the Mini to now drive these displays? I thought it was a hardware issue.

Thanks!

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 11:56 AM

10 replies

Apr 13, 2015 6:35 PM in response to Kappy

As I mentioned, I did read the article. The issue is a question about the hardware. There are numerous articles out there detailing the inability of the Mini's Intel graphics to drive 4K at 60hz refresh rate reliably. Here is just one example ( https://www.powerpage.org/the-mac-minis-intel-gpu-wont-work-as-a-4k-media-center / )

I just wanted to get feedback from users who have actually hooked up a 4K SST 60hz display to the late 2014 Mac Mini to see if they experienced the issues that many on the web have noted. There is a lack of detail on this subject - even Apple's KB article doesn't say much. So, all real world feedback welcomed.

Apr 13, 2015 6:45 PM in response to woofypawz

Specs are:

Graphics CardIntel HD Graphics 5000 (1.4 GHz) Intel Iris 5100 (2.6 and 2.8 GHz)
Graphics MemoryUp to 1.5 GB shared from main memory
Display Connection1 - HDMI port or Thunderbolt digital video output
Display SupportSupports an HDMI-compatible device while using one Thunderbolt display or support for two Thunderbolt displays
Display ModesDual display extended, video mirroring, and AirPlay Mirroring
External ResolutionUp to 2560 by 1600 (Thunderbolt) or 4096 by 2160 (HDMI)

As you can see it does support 4K using HDMI.

Apr 13, 2015 6:54 PM in response to Kappy

Yes, that is correct - but HDMI will only handle 30hz refresh rate, which can be choppy. Believe me, I've done a lot of research into this. Even presently, the Mac Mini spec on the Apple Online Store is listed as supporting 3840 x 2160 (4K) resolution at 30hz via HDMI. So, with all the commentary on the web concerning hardware limitations, I'm just not sure if Yosemite 10.10.3 - a software update - can in fact enable smooth output via Thunderbolt 2 at 60hz on a 4K SST display. It would be great to hear experiences from someone who has set this up before I purchase a display.

Thanks for the feedback.

Apr 14, 2015 3:15 PM in response to woofypawz

Well, it looks like Apple issued a correction to their KB article Using 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with your Mac - Apple Support . As of today (14 APR 15), the Mac Mini has been removed from the list of computers that can run 4K SST displays at 60hz.

Web posters were correct in saying the Mini's hardware couldn't support it. End of story, sadly.

Does Yosemite 10.10.3 now enable Mac Mini 2014 to drive 4K SST displays at 60z?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.