Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Message App Slow Response

Hello there,

My iPad Air 2 (iOS 8.3) is having an issue with the Messages app.

When I open the app to look at the messages I have, it becomes very slow and there is a lag when you click around and try and view my message threads. I've had this issue for over a month now.

I still received the new messages to this device but it can take a while to actually view them. Everything is working fine with the messages being delivered to my iPhone and Macbook. There just seems to be an issue with my iPad.

Does anybody have a resolution or suggestions to look into.

I've tried turning iMessages off in the Settings and restarting and turning it back on. But it hasn't cured the problem.

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Ad

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 1:59 PM

19 replies

Apr 13, 2015 8:37 PM in response to adam_lloyd

I also have this very same issue. It starts doing this if I try to delete an individual message thread in messages. I then have to reboot the device and the deleted message thread reappears (does not delete). It works fine as long as I don't try to delete an individual text message thread after a fresh reboot. As a matter of fact, I have been unable to delete any individual text message threads in messages since this issue started.

This all started with one of the IOS 8 updates.

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 8.3

Apr 23, 2015 9:27 AM in response to oldsoulsound

I am having this problem as well. It developed with iOS 8.1 and has been getting worse. 8.3 is slow to a complete crawl. I have an iPad 4th gen. Whole iPad lags, but Messages is the worst of it. Message count is wrong too, keeps saying wrong number of unread messages, and doesn't know when I've already read messages on my iPhone or computer.

I saw a YouTube clip about resetting the Network Settings to fix this, though I haven't tried it and remain skeptical. It seems more like a memory allocation problem in my case (hence my iPad being sluggish in general), maybe my iCloud data is too beefy for this three year old iPad. Would sure love to hear about a fix though.

Apr 27, 2015 7:23 PM in response to adam_lloyd

First I tried restoring the software on my iPad and then restored the data and settings from a backup. Same issue. Finally I did a restore and setup up the iPad as new and started from scratch and the issue went away. It is definitely a drastic measure but Messages is a big part of how I use the iPad so it was an acceptable trade off for me. Hopefully Apple will figure out a better fix than having to restore to defaults and starting from scratch.

May 27, 2015 9:17 AM in response to drowsychicken

I did a full restore on my iphone 6 (5 months old) and the restore solved the problem...for a few days. Back just as sluggish as before and when writing a message the letter lag terribly. I have this problem on both my Iphone 6 (IOS 8.3) and my old ipad (IOS 8.1). I have tried turning imessage off in messages app in the settings. Makes no difference. My contacts is also having a problem, (on Iphone) its like the page is on a "reload-loop". Hope this gets fixed soon.

Aug 10, 2015 7:01 PM in response to adam_lloyd

I have the exact same problem with my iPad 3. Worked great until a couple of updates ago but it's horrible now. I see very noticeable lag on several apps but iMessage is almost completely unusable on it. We have many Apple devices (phones 5c,5s, and 6, iPad 2 & 3) and it is only the iPad 3 having this issue. I have mixed feelings about not being the only one experiencing this.. on one hand I am glad it's not likely my device... on the other hand it seems as if Apple has a pretty serious underlying issue to resolve.. and who knows how long that will take.

iPad Message App Slow Response

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.