Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dots beside icons

There are two dots beside an icon in the dock on my MacBook Pro. When I force quit the program, the main dot will disappear but the smaller, lighter dot remains. How do I remove the smaller dot?

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 3:26 PM

6 replies

Apr 13, 2015 3:51 PM in response to renfrew919

What OS version? Yosemite has a different dock than previous versions. So does Tiger.

If your dock is 3D, it'll have a reflection of the dot. But it shouldn't appear after you force quit. If the application icon has a dot in the actual image, a 3D dock will reflect on it.

Sometimes, although rarely, the icon will appear light and the dots might dim (only in 3D dock). That's because the application is closing down.

If it's none of these are true, does it look like this?

[ force quit ]

V

[ icon ] [ icon ] [ icon ]

:

Apr 18, 2015 12:19 PM in response to renfrew919

There shouldn't be 2 dots (arrows).

renfrew919 wrote:

I'm using Yosemite 10.10.3. This is what the problem looks like: I guess now that I see it better, it is more of an arrow than a dotUser uploaded file

You said there's a main dot, but the smaller dot remains. What's the main dot and the smaller dot look like? The screenshot just looks like a normal app that's open.

Dots beside icons

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.