Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calendar Email Invitations aren't send to local network users

Setup

OS X Mavericks (10.9.5) running Server 3.2.2

Calendar Service: on

Mail Service: Off (Company Email: Externally hosted through web hosting company)

DNS: Split horizon DNS (working properly)

hostname: hostname.domain.com

email accounts at web hosting user@domain.com

Issues:

I tried to find a post with the same issue but couldn't find one. I have Calendar service running and working properly except for a couple minor issues.

1. Email invitations for local network users inside our network are not sent. Push notifications are working and show up in Calendar. External email invitations to other domains are also working. We'd like our team to get an email in addition to the push notification.
  2. Replies to external invites fail to be delivered. The fail message is coming from our email hosting company. So the reply is going to there instead.

Does this have something to do with the users emails locally being user@hostname.domain.com instead of user@domain.com?

Will the default email account (com.apple.calendarserver@hostname.domain.com) work, even if Mail service is disabled? Is that what I should be using instead? Or is there additional DNS entires required to point the calendar replies to our OS X server instead of our email host?

I appreciate any insight.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 1:38 PM

5 replies

May 15, 2015 10:42 AM in response to prodigypixel

Even though locally you are not running a mail service, you should use the appropriate mailaddress to get them delivered correctly.

So change the local user mailaddress to reflect the correct maildomain.

Add the correct DNS records to reflect the current split horizon DNS if needed.

Reboot the server and verify DNS records.

Also when that is done, run the invites-maildelivery in the Calendar section of the Server.app once again.

I have seen those deliveries fail, but after rerunning the setup for invites it started working again.

check the output of: sudo serveradmin settings calendar

and last but not least, does your mailhost support "plus addressing"?

OS X Server: iCalendar Message-Based Interoperability Protocol (iMIP) support - Apple Support

Goodluck

Jeffrey

May 22, 2015 1:38 PM in response to jepping

Thanks Jeffrey.

Are you suggesting to change the email address for the network Users in server app? Right now all the network users have their email listed at user@domain.com. Should I change it to user@server.domain.com?

Or are you referring to the SMTP and IMAP info in Calendar > Settings > Enable Invitations by email? Right now this is an email account user@domain.com with our externally hosted email service.

As far as DNS, I don't have any additional mx records for the subdomain server.domain.com. Do I need any for split-horizon? I believe my DNS is already setup correctly and match for both the external and internal server.

May 23, 2015 12:57 AM in response to prodigypixel

Hi,

Did you check whether your hostingprovider supports plus addressing as stated in the support document.

I would start there and work your way down, but reading your post everything seems to be ok.

Do you get any errors in the logs when an invitation is being sent?

Check your DNS settings and verify that your local server knows where mail needs to go.

How do you know that the split-horizon DNS is working properly?

Goodluck

Jeffrey

May 29, 2015 2:28 PM in response to jepping

Thanks jepping.

I checked with my host and was told that the server does support "plus addressing." I don't see any errors in the Calendar or SMTP logs when sending an invitation to a local network user. I'm confident that DNS is setup correctly for my other services running (VPN, Calendar, etc). They work in and out of the local network. I think I'm missing a few records to get these internal email invites working. We can send and receive email fine.

Right now I have:

At web/email Host

Type Zone Value

A mail.domain.com IP for website/mail server

MX domain.com. mail.domain.com

OS X Server DNS

Type Zone Value

A mail.domain.com IP for website/mail server

MX domain.com. mail.domain.com

When I invite an external users, the invite email is sent, but the reply tries to go to my web/email host @domain.com, instead of the OS X box server.domain.com. I get a message failed to send.

Do I need an MX records for server.domain.com so the calendar replies are sent to the OS X box?

Calendar Email Invitations aren't send to local network users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.