Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I revert back to Iphoto '11 after an unexpected library migration to Photos app

The 10.10.3 Yosemite update unexpectedly migrated the iPhoto '11 library to the new Photos app format. I have 15,000+ pictures and prefer iPhoto. How to revert back?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 1:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 1:58 PM

Your Photo Library is left untouched. Launch iPhoto. Done.

10 replies

Apr 13, 2015 10:49 PM in response to casablanca24

casablanca 24

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Apr 17, 2015 2:34 PM in response to B_Boston

Same here... my iPhoto library is 131Gb and only a few of the photos went into Photo...none that I selected. I have 20 paid for Gb in the Cloud but could never afford to buy 131 GB worth. Therefore, at this time, I guess Photos is useless to me?

Photos will not accept this larger iPhoto library when I tried to "switch" into it.... it was dimmed out.

At this point I don't see the purpose in "Photos."

Apr 17, 2015 2:48 PM in response to B_Boston

B-Boston:

To make sure the library will continue to work as before launch iPhoto with the Command+Option keys held down and in the First Aid section apply these two repairs: Option #1, Repair Library Permissions and Option #4, Rebuild Library Database.

When you scroll thru photos quickly do you see this momentarily in the thumbnail version?

User uploaded file

If you do then also apply Option #2, Rebuild Thumbnails.

User uploaded file

Aug 11, 2015 7:18 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hiya

I am having problems since migrating to Photos and syncing them with my iphone (my albums don't show on itunes so i can't sync them). Apple have so far not been able to resolve the problem. I think the best thing to do is to go back to Iphoto as i never had problems with it.

I tried to do what you suggested but I can't find iphoto in my purchases and under ACCOUNT i don't get the option to unhide my purchases. How else could I do this as ever since migrating to Photos my iPhoto app is greyed out and I get the same message as the originator of this thread.

any help much appreciated

How do I revert back to Iphoto '11 after an unexpected library migration to Photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.