Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost internal hard drive

My Imac, running OS X Snow Leopardwould not boot up so following the advice below I found from my Disc Utility there were errors on my hard drive.

So following on I partitioned the disk per section 2 and re formatted the disk. I got to the end of section 3 below when my Imac froze so I had no choice but to reboot. When I did, I opened disc utility again and found that the internal hard drive has dissapeared!

How do I get it back? I do have an external time machine backup

Apple community on line advice

Boot the computer using the Snow Leopard Installer Disc or the Disc 1 that came

with your computer. Insert the disc into the optical drive and restart the computer.

After the chime press and hold down the "C" key. Release the key when you see

a small spinning gear appear below the dark gray Apple logo.

2. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue

button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

After DU loads select the hard drive entry from the left side list (mfgr.'s ID and drive

size.) Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window. Set the number of

partitions to one (1) from the Partitions drop down menu, click on Options button

and select GUID, click on OK, then set the format type to MacOS Extended

(Journaled, if supported), then click on the Apply button.

3. When the formatting has completed quit DU and return to the installer. Proceed

with the OS X installation and follow the directions included with the installer.

4. When the installation has completed your computer will Restart into the Setup

Assistant. Be sure you configure your initial admin account with the exact same

username and password that you used on your old drive. After you finish Setup

Assistant will complete the installation after which you will be running a fresh

install of OS X. You can now begin the update process by opening Software

Update and installing all recommended updates to bring your installation current.

ormat my iMac internal hard drive and restore from a Time Machine backup. Half way through it crashed so now I can't see the hard drive at all? How do I get it back?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6)

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 1:40 PM

2 replies

Apr 13, 2015 1:46 PM in response to johnfromthelevels1

1. Boot the computer using the Snow Leopard Installer Disc or the Disc 1 that came

with your computer. Insert the disc into the optical drive and restart the computer.

After the chime press and hold down the "C" key. Release the key when you see

a small spinning gear appear below the dark gray Apple logo.

2. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue

button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

Do you see your out-dented entry for the HDD in the Disk Utility sidebar list? If not then the drive is dead. Get it replaced. If it is present then describe what you see completely or click on the Partition tab then make a screensnap of the Disk Utility window and post it here.

To post screen shot do this:

1. Press COMMAND-SHIFT-4 which will change the cursor to crosshairs.
  2. Hold down the mouse button and use the crosshairs to select the part of the screen you wish to capture.
  3. Release the button and the image will be saved to your Desktop.
  4. Click on the Camera icon in the toolbar of the forum message editor.
  5. Drag the image onto the Choose File button and click on the Insert button.

Lost internal hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.