Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete my aperture photos now?

I've migrated aperture library to photos. I'd rather just delete aperture or at least delete all of the photos out of it now. Is that going to affect Photos? I don't really understand how they "share" the info now since they both take up a large amount of storage.

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 3:20 PM

Most of the content is still in the Aperture library; it shouldn't be deleted. Click here for more information.

(125891)

5 replies

Apr 13, 2015 5:49 PM in response to Niel

Niel, your characterization is incorrect.

While it's true that it doesn't take up extra space, it's not true that the content is "in" the Aperture library. The truth is that the photos in Aperture and in Photos both point to the same location on disk. You can delete one without affecting the other. Only if both are deleted will the original photos go away.

That said, I think it's MUCH wiser to archive off the old Aperture library rather than deleting it. "Just in case."

Apr 25, 2015 1:17 AM in response to xieqiao

Hi rollyfoster

I agree with some of the comments/responses here, but as you are probably aware Aperture can store your files in different locations - depending if you had a referenced library or not.

It's always good practice to back up your files, so I would recommend using the export features in Aperture and export the photos to a 'new' area - internal or external hard disc or somewhere else depending on how much disc space they use up. This means you would always have a copy tucked away and 'unlinked to any other application.

You could then import to Photos from Aperture - (when you YOU feel it's ready or acceptable for use). You can probably tell here that I'm not a fan of it in its current state and probably shouldn't have been released yet.

Regards, Number 7

Can I delete my aperture photos now?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.