Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Now playing" has stopped working with iOS 8.3

Since the update to 8.3 the "now playing" feature no longer shows when I restart the music app. Before, when I closed the app it used to retain the last played track when I reopen it but now it just defaults to "playlists". This is extremely irritating as I have to keep manually selecting the track I was playing before.

Anyone else noticed this problem?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 3:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 8:59 PM

I'm having the same issue and it also happens when I use the sleep feature. Before, if I came back to the music app, it showed the last song playing but now it doesn't even have me in the same playlist and there is no "now playing" feature.

30 replies

Apr 14, 2015 12:52 AM in response to kpjames5

Have exact the same problem... Its pretty annoying, especially when i'm out doing Workout, once a day, to listen to the same song 4-5 times a week, cause i have to respart the playlist every day... Getting pretty upset...

reRoll the **** mudic app plix..

Stars for the app in fuctionality can ONLY be 1 out of 5 cause of this

Apr 15, 2015 1:22 AM in response to kpjames5

I think I have the same issue. Before upgrading to iOS 8.3 I used to be able to slide up the control centre and press play and it would play the last song I was listening to from my play list. I wouldn't even need the music app open. Now I find I need to keep the music app open, if I close it and press play from the control centre a random song starts playing.

Apr 21, 2015 3:54 PM in response to Ma T

I'm having the same issue. When I close the music app and try to play music from the control center, a random song starts playing. When I open the music app while the random song is playing, it opens to the iTunes Radio screen and the missing "now playing" miraculously shows up, then when I go to the song screen, "Shuffle All" is selected (I never use the shuffle feature). When I turn off "Shuffle All" and start the process all over again with the selected playlist, the same problem occurs, and "Shuffle All" is turned back on. It's like the music app resets itself when it's closed and when it's reopened, it's like it's being opened for the first time, every time. I only have about 680 songs on my iPhone 6, but I have them all separated into playlists and only listen to the music via playlists, so this issue is really irking me, especially not being able to pick up where I left off when the music app is closed and not being able to turn off the "Shuffle All" feature.

Apr 25, 2015 3:24 PM in response to kpjames5

I have the same problem. "Now Playing" only shows up when you navigate within the app. If you close the app and reopen, it starts anew, not returning the song you were just listening to. And, if you were using shuffle, that starts over, too, meaning you can't go back and listen to, say, a tune three songs back because everything's been reshuffled. With 3950 songs on my phone, this glitch is VERY irritating.

Apr 26, 2015 3:46 AM in response to kpjames5

I am having this issue with the "Now Playing" button, too. I like to shuffle my entire iPhone music library and play it all the way through so I don't ever hear the same song. Now EVERY time I close the Music app, the Now Playing button is gone, so I can't pick up where I left off. I KNOW it didn't used to behave this way. I don't want to have to leave my Music app open all the time...What happened??

"Now playing" has stopped working with iOS 8.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.