Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.10.3 Bluetooth sound clipping

After installing the 10.10.3 update, my late 2014 MacBook Pro 15" Retina starts sending distorted sound to my bluetooth headset (Sennheiser Momentum Wireless). This happens with every sound going out from the Mac (iTunes, Quicktime player, Safari, system noises etc.), its not heard all the time, but happens very regular in various amounts. This is really annoying!

The Sennheisers are the only thing thats connected with Bluetooth.

My specs:

Macbook Pro 15" Retina late 2014

Intel i7 Quad core 2,8Ghz

16GB Memory

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

1TB flash storage

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 3:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2017 8:57 PM

The following solved my problem:

It's an issue with the amount of power/bandwidth supplied to the BluetoothAudioAgent, the daemon in charge of streaming. Apparently most people have had success by entering the following command in terminal.app:

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Apple Bitpool Min (editable)" -int 40

Source: http://lifehacker.com/fix-your-bluetooth-audio-in-yosemite-with-this-terminal-16 70380974

The source article lists Yosemite as the specific OS this applies to, but I know that this fix also works back to Mavericks and (possibly) Snow Leopard (untested).

I am having this exact issue at the moment and entered that command with non-noticeable results. I'm going to reboot the machine and see if that takes the new settings into account. But it seems like this command is the way that the wide majority of people have resolved this issue.

EDIT: Just rebooted, the audio quality is significantly better. No noticeable choppiness whatsoever (knock on wood). It appears that the command I posted above does seem to resolve the issue.

EDIT 2 (2015-8-24): The above command does help in many cases and produces noticeable quality improvements. Unfortunately, however, Yosemite is very moody with regard to bluetooth audio. The problem compounds itself when in proximity of other bluetooth devices. To expand on my previous answer above, I highly recommend entering the following additional commands to increase other bluetooth audio parameters:

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Apple Bitpool Max (editable)" 80

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Apple Bitpool Min (editable)" 48

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Apple Initial Bitpool (editable)" 40

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Apple Initial Bitpool Min (editable)" 40

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Negotiated Bitpool" 58

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Negotiated Bitpool Max" 58

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Negotiated Bitpool Min" 48

EDIT 3 (2015-9-08): Alright. I'm sorry I keep updating this answer, but I keep finding more information about this issue (since improving bluetooth audio on Yosemite is a long-term effort, apparently). I've found several sources that cut straight to the mustard and set everything to 80 which appears to be the maximum allowable value for Bitpool settings. If the above settings don't work well enough for you, try the "All In™" approach.

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Apple Bitpool Min (editable)" 80

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Apple Initial Bitpool (editable)" 80

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Apple Initial Bitpool Min (editable)" 80

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Negotiated Bitpool" 80

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Negotiated Bitpool Max" 80

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Negotiated Bitpool Min" 80

To see your current defaults:

defaults read com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent

Edit 4 (2016-07-14): One more (hopefully last) edit. Make sure that you restart the bluetoothaudiod (or coreaudiod) service after making changes to these settings.

sudo killall bluetoothaudiod

Or, if you are on El Capitan:

sudo killall coreaudiod

Credit for this goes to the multiple wise nerds below who suggested it. (Thank you!)

Source: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/167245/yosemite-bluetooth-audio-is-chop py-skips

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2017 8:57 PM in response to Smibakkjen

The following solved my problem:

It's an issue with the amount of power/bandwidth supplied to the BluetoothAudioAgent, the daemon in charge of streaming. Apparently most people have had success by entering the following command in terminal.app:

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Apple Bitpool Min (editable)" -int 40

Source: http://lifehacker.com/fix-your-bluetooth-audio-in-yosemite-with-this-terminal-16 70380974

The source article lists Yosemite as the specific OS this applies to, but I know that this fix also works back to Mavericks and (possibly) Snow Leopard (untested).

I am having this exact issue at the moment and entered that command with non-noticeable results. I'm going to reboot the machine and see if that takes the new settings into account. But it seems like this command is the way that the wide majority of people have resolved this issue.

EDIT: Just rebooted, the audio quality is significantly better. No noticeable choppiness whatsoever (knock on wood). It appears that the command I posted above does seem to resolve the issue.

EDIT 2 (2015-8-24): The above command does help in many cases and produces noticeable quality improvements. Unfortunately, however, Yosemite is very moody with regard to bluetooth audio. The problem compounds itself when in proximity of other bluetooth devices. To expand on my previous answer above, I highly recommend entering the following additional commands to increase other bluetooth audio parameters:

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Apple Bitpool Min (editable)" 48

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Apple Initial Bitpool (editable)" 40

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Apple Initial Bitpool Min (editable)" 40

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Negotiated Bitpool" 58

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Negotiated Bitpool Max" 58

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Negotiated Bitpool Min" 48

EDIT 3 (2015-9-08): Alright. I'm sorry I keep updating this answer, but I keep finding more information about this issue (since improving bluetooth audio on Yosemite is a long-term effort, apparently). I've found several sources that cut straight to the mustard and set everything to 80 which appears to be the maximum allowable value for Bitpool settings. If the above settings don't work well enough for you, try the "All In™" approach.

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Apple Bitpool Min (editable)" 80

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Apple Initial Bitpool (editable)" 80

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Apple Initial Bitpool Min (editable)" 80

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Negotiated Bitpool" 80

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Negotiated Bitpool Max" 80

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Negotiated Bitpool Min" 80

To see your current defaults:

defaults read com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent

Edit 4 (2016-07-14): One more (hopefully last) edit. Make sure that you restart the bluetoothaudiod (or coreaudiod) service after making changes to these settings.

sudo killall bluetoothaudiod

Or, if you are on El Capitan:

sudo killall coreaudiod

Credit for this goes to the multiple wise nerds below who suggested it. (Thank you!)

Source: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/167245/yosemite-bluetooth-audio-is-chop py-skips

Apr 13, 2015 7:45 PM in response to Smibakkjen

I am also experiencing this same problem with my Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 2.0 headphones after updating to version 10.10.3.

My Specs:

Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

512GB SSD

Same as the person above, I am only experiencing the distortion while using the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 2.0 headphones on my MacBook Pro via bluetooth.

With the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless, you have the option to go wired or wireless.

If I connect my headphones via a wired connection, the sound comes through crystal clear.

Steps I did to try to fix the problem:

- Removed the device from my Bluetooth list and paired the device again.

- Removed the com.apple.Bluetooth.plist file from /Library/Preferences and com.apple.BluetoothFileExchange.plist from /Users/username/Library/Preferences. Rebooted and paired my device once more. These steps did not fix the problem.

- Reset PRAM and SMC.

All of the above steps did not fix my problem

I am frequently using the Momentum Wireless 2.0 headphones with my iPad and iPhone and have had not had any issues with these devices. These devices were also updated to the latest OS version.

I have another pair of wireless headphones, the JayBird BlueBuds X. I have not had any problems with them after the update.

I am at a loss at this point.

Apr 14, 2015 12:57 AM in response to oootheoneooo

After the update to 10.10.3 I have also this problem with my Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 2.0 headphones. Previously, the sound was perfect.

My Specs:

MacPro 6,1

Processor 3.5GHz 6-Core

Memory 64GB

Graphics dual FirePro D700

512GB SSD

I have even reinstalled OSX from scratch, but that didn't fix the problem. On my Macbook Pro with 10.10.2 and iOS devices, everything works fine.

Apr 14, 2015 9:41 PM in response to Smibakkjen

I have the same problem as well. I had been very pleased with my Sennheiser Momentum M2 AEBT headphones but after the 10.10.3 update I hear frequent crackling sounds that ruin the sound quality. I am certain it has to do with the OS update and not the headphones themselves.

Like the OP I have tried unpairing/pairing, changing Audio MIDI settings etc. but the problem persists. If I connect with the wire the problem goes away so I think the problem is with 10.10.3 BlueTooth.

Apr 15, 2015 8:11 AM in response to Smibakkjen

I haven't solved the problem but I discovered a program called Bluetooth Explorer by Apple -- it is available with XCode. I have version 4.3.0. After playing around with the settings, I couldn't get it to work perfectly but I think it improved things. But I could be imagining it since the problem is still there.

Anyway, here are my current settings:

User uploaded file

Apr 16, 2015 12:20 PM in response to oootheoneooo

I've managed to get back to 10.10.2 and audio is great while using my Momentum Wireless headphones.

The only issue I have now is that my new P2715Q 27" monitor is not working under 10.10.2. The 10.10.3 upgrade probably fixes some sort of problem with my 4K monitor. The new monitor works if I disconnect my main monitor which is a Thunderbolt Display.

Now I'm stuck again... either I have a working bluetooth connection with my headphones and have my second 4K monitor not work or I get back to 10.10.3 in order to have my new monitor working side by side with my Thunderbolt Display.

Not good Apple!

10.10.3 Bluetooth sound clipping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.