Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

v4.2 Update Causes MacPro to Freeze, Unusable

Just upgraded to v4.2 from v4.1.3 on a Mac Pro (mid-2010) running 10.10.3 and it immediately brought all of my work to a grinding halt. Compressor immediately freezes entire computer after launch. Restarted, fixed permissions, etc. to no avail.

Anyone else seeing this or have any suggestions? Can't do a thing until I find a fix.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 4:07 PM

6 replies

Apr 15, 2015 8:13 AM in response to Russ H

The freezing action begins right after the app opens and sometimes when you first take an action. I don’t get a spinning wheel but everything freezes and the seconds on the Mac clock stop. I can, however, move the mouse a bit. After a few minutes then any clicks I did rapidly process and it freezes again within seconds. This pattern then continues to repeat.

I just installed the upgrade on another MacPro this time a Late 2013 model and so far have not experienced the same issue. It does appear I am getting significant performance improvements for H.264 encoding which is good to see although the file size has grown considerably compared to the same file done with 4.1.3 using the same settings (something possibly for another thread).

I'm working the issue with Apple and they are exploring a possible compatibility issue with the graphic cards installed. The cards on the box having the issue are an ATI Radeon HD 5870 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 driving 5 ACDs ranging from 20" to 30".

Apr 15, 2015 4:54 PM in response to Mac1987

It appears Compressor v4.2 has issues with some video cards and possibly the monitors they are driving. It is the working theory from Apple support in my case and they are working on the final confirmation now. I'll update here as soon as I hear back. Needless to say, a fairly significant detail to know before upgrading Compressor if confirmed.

v4.2 Update Causes MacPro to Freeze, Unusable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.