Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 battery life. Why is my phone dying at 20%?

iPhone 6

ios 8.3

this phone isn't that old, it shouldnt be having battery problems right?

well when my phone is around 20% it dies. Shuts off. And it doesn't go back on until I plug it in. Why does it die at 20% if its not actually dead.

ANd rand then when it does go back on, it will say 23% or something. Like the battery never even got down to 0%.

This has happened maybe 7 or 8 times.

Help.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 7:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2017 11:36 AM

I am currently having problems with my iphone 6s shutting down at 40% and found that I am eligible for the repair discussed here: https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

You should check yours out and see if this explains your problem.

42 replies

Jan 22, 2017 8:04 PM in response to Lelemarie47

My iPhone 6 usually dies around 50% (About 1pm) I don't stream video. Occasionally I'll use snapchat or stream audio. I do not game. It's generally off and I can't tell you how many times I've needed to use my phone to call someone but can't because 20 seconds after I unlock the phone my battery "dies" then hours after I get to a charger it's at 50%. On occasion it's died at 70 or 80 percent (5 times over the past 2 weeks). Running iOS 10.1.1 (Build 1). I'm going to restore my iPhone through iTunes and see if that helps. I've tried this multiple times through the past years though and it hasn't seemed to help. There must be a problem with iPhone 6 batteries because this has happened to so many people with an iPhone 6. I'm not happy with my past 3 years of owning this phone. Speaking of phones dying mine literally just died at 40%. Please fix this apple.

Jan 28, 2017 11:34 AM in response to Lelemarie47

I am seriously considering going Android as most of my family has that. My sis has an LG phone and does not have any problems with the battery shutting down my phone randomly. I just updated to the newest 10.2.1 version, I guess I will see if the battery problem improves. I have tried and I contiuously check all of the battery life saving tips and they do not help with this issue at all.

Very Frustrated IPhone user

Apr 13, 2015 7:22 PM in response to Lelemarie47

You should never let your battery get that low to where it is shutting off like that. That is the worse thing for those types of batteries. Charge the device before it gets that low, you will ruin the batter prematurely. Battery level that low will not support operation of the device, and it is protecting itself by shutting down. You certainly do not want the battery to get down to 0%, or you may not recover if you do it that often.

Apr 16, 2015 7:35 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

That's great that it bad for my battery but why does it die at 20%? If it's at 20%, there should still be enough battery left to keep my phone alive. Technically, 20% is now 0% because 0 means there is none left and it dies. Why does it die if there's still some power left in the battery?

And what about the people who say that its unhealthy for your phone to have it alive and charging it and charging it again and again. Don't people say you should let it die? Then charge it full again?

Apr 16, 2015 7:57 PM in response to Lelemarie47

Depending on what you are doing, then 20% will not support what you are doing and the phone shuts down to protect itself. As far as people saying it is unhealthy to charge the phone, then they do not understand how lithium ion batteries work. You can charge the phone as often as you like and it will not harm the battery, but if you keep letting the battery die and charge it to full again, it will kill it before you know it. Much sooner then charging it in small amounts like you should. See this link for information on how to maximize the life of your battery. http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

Apr 16, 2015 8:01 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:

Depending on what you are doing, then 20% will not support what you are doing and the phone shuts down to protect itself. As far as people saying it is unhealthy to charge the phone, then they do not understand how lithium ion batteries work. You can charge the phone as often as you like and it will not harm the battery, but if you keep letting the battery die and charge it to full again, it will kill it before you know it. Much sooner then charging it in small amounts like you should. See this link for information on how to maximize the life of your battery. http://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

But i've been told killing it once per month is good. what do you think?

Apr 16, 2015 8:51 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Well it says this:

User uploaded file

Charge your Apple lithium-ion battery whenever you want. There’s no need to let it discharge 100% before recharging.

I swear i read a couple of years ago about letting die the battery once per month. I guess i should forget now that practice.

In fact Apple used to recommend that discharging per month but apparently not anymore:

Is it ok to let your battery drain completely once a month?

Found an interesting article here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/1n029f/getting_the_longest_life_out_of_y our_iphone/

Nov 30, 2015 5:29 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

20% is not enough, huh? My iphone 6 just died around 60%! Is that enough battery to do what I do or should I be plugging it in when it gets below 50%? I've had this phone since last December, and the lowest level the battery conked out before was like 6% or so, and that was rare. The iPhone 4S was more unpredictable, but it never died at 20%. Usually the 6 conks out at around 1-3%.

It's fairly obvious this junk IOS 8.XX is laden with bugs. This is a new one for me and I was looking at the health application when it suddenly conked out. Then it wouldn't let me do anything until I plugged it into the charger. When it turned back on, 47% battery is what the reading was. I'm sure it was in the 60% range when it suddenly conked out.

Nov 30, 2015 5:30 PM in response to radiolarian

There are two possible reasons that the battery dies above 1%: Either the battery is failing, or the battery gauge needs to be recalibrated. If you take the phone to an Apple store they can test the battery, so that should be the first step. Make an appointment first.

To recalibrate the battery gauge:

• Charge to 100%
  • Run the battery down until the phone shuts off
  • If it shuts off above 1% charge it for a minute only, then continue running the battery down. Repeat until it makes it to 1% before shutting off
  • Charge it to 100% again

If the battery is not defective this should fix it.

iPhone 6 battery life. Why is my phone dying at 20%?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.