Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing Photos to iCloud stuck?

Hey all

Does anyone know how iCloud Photo Library really work? I have some 20 000 photos and installed the new Photos app and enabled 200 gig iCloud plan on Saturday. It started syncing. It's now Tuesday and it has still about 12 000 photos to sync. Yet in Activity monitor I can see it isn't uploading anything and pics aren't appearing on my Apple devices - only the ones uploaded so far - those 8 000...

It only seems to wake up to do some uploading when I go and open up a few photos in the app itself.

Also, new photos taken with my iPhone don't seem to be appearing after I've started using Photos app on Mac. On my phone it still says 10 photos to upload... But isn't doing anything.

Anyone else with similar issues?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 10:06 PM

36 replies

Aug 27, 2017 8:04 AM in response to diggy123

I had the same problem. Here is what solved it for me.

Disable iCloud Fotos in System Settings>iCloud => Remove checkmark for Fotos

Restart ( Don't know if necessary )

Put the checkmark back in.

Start Fotos.

_____

I don't know if necessary:

In my case when trying to put the checkmark back in for iCloud Fotos, OS X told me i don't have enough free space.

There was an invisible local Time Machine backup eating up all the space.

I turned of Time Machine and the backups disappear autom. After Fotos finished syncing with the cloud i turned it back on.

Apr 13, 2015 10:54 PM in response to diggy123

It was very quick saying I needed more iCloud space, in order to even check that I wanted to use iCloud Photo Library.

I have 40 000 photos, many raw, so I had to activate 500GB.

when I check system preferences / iCloud: I can see that Photos has managed, in a couple of days, to take up 35GB of space 🙂

I have 100mbit fibre, a fixed connection from my imac27" to my network.

On my macbook pro I can see that the 8000 or so images that have been uploaded on the imac has been synced to the macbook.

I have tried quitting Photos app fully and back on but it seems impossible to get it to upload any more. I don't even know where to begin looking. There are no additional values exposed to me.

Apr 14, 2015 5:24 AM in response to diggy123

I am not sure if the photo-app works really with Mavericks?

I am on 10.10. But I have had the same amount of pictures and have been also forced to upgrade to 200GB of icloud storage. If have set the imac to "never sleep" and it took the full weekend to transfer the pictures to the icloud. Speed was varying all the time. Downloading to my iphone worked very fast (about 1 hour), but to the ipad mini it took some days. There is a hint from apple that the machines need "enough battery" for up- and downloading - whatever this means I had my battery operated items connected to power. So it works now! All pictures in icloud system mediathek and copies on the different devices! My well sorted project structure is gone, only the albums have survived....

Apr 14, 2015 1:27 PM in response to diggy123

As far as I can tell. Photos sends the pictures in batches of 20 or 40 at a time. The actual data is uploaded by a process called cloudd. You can use the network tab of the activity monitor to see whether data is being uploaded. Once a batch is uploaded, the count in Photos decrements by 20 (or 40) and the next batch is queued.

Depending on your network connection speed, this process can take a long time for a large library. My 8000+ photo library looks like it will take over 30 days at least. Once it is done, I think it will be worth it, but the wait is quite disappointing to say the least.

Apr 15, 2015 1:47 AM in response to diggy123

I, too, have the same problem-stuck at around 15,000 of 20,000 photos after 5 days. I'm wondering if this might be the problem: I have both an iMac and a Macbook Air. Prior to turning on Photos on either machine, I consolidated (merged) the Aperture libraries from both machines on the iMac and renamed the library Photos Library. Then I turned on Photos on the iMac. Photos spent about an hour processing the new file-Photos Library.photoslibrary- then started uploading it to iCloud. It was slow. I waited a couple of days then turned on Photos on the Macbook after some processing, there was a file called Photos Library.photoslibrary now residing in the Pictures folder of my Macbook and Photos began using that as the system folder on the iMac and began up loading that to iCloud. Many fewer photos are showing in my Macbook Photos app, and it also seems stuck. I'm wondering if there's some conflict because I'm using identically named Libraries on both machines and both are connected to and trying to UL/DL from iCloud at the same time.

Am I doing it wrong? Anyone with two machines who can advise me would be much appreciated. Apple's instructions aren't real clear other than

'just turn on Photos on your devices and they will sync." I splurged for the 200 G upgrade beforehand, and I guess the slow syncing is one way to milk the account

Apr 16, 2015 8:25 AM in response to diggy123

I think it is so strange that there is no info about this issue. Days are going and nothing is happening... Today is states (or the latest two days) downloading 359 items. Now when I restarted it says uploading 31911 again. whichever of the two I get the amount is always the same.

I logged in via the web browser to icloud.com to see what was there. I could see that all albums existed, but they were empty.

I cloud online only had the most recent import in terms of photos.

I am assuming that apple icloud is totally overloaded with data/transfers due to the recent update. Tons of ppl trying to get this to work and uploading huge amounts of data (trying too at least).

That or they have failed with internal and external testing of the product before releasing it.

Which of course could be fine by all means... if they gave me as a user some sort of information. I assume that they can see that I have enabled Photo with icloud storage and could send an email to all such users informing of the issues.

Apr 16, 2015 11:04 AM in response to David Rinnan

I disagree that this is because servers are overloaded. For me it was stuck for days on 512 pics needing update. No clue what caused it but I suspect it had something to do with the fact I transferred big videos and then removed them before they were in sync with icloud.

I got my stuck problem fixed by rebuilding Photos library. Command + option click Photos app. Then it rebuild ane it synced everything fine to iCloud.

Apr 16, 2015 12:54 PM in response to fobin

I am not sure, of course.

But today I am on a 300mbit fibre and I restarted the computer. Photos actually, but slowly, started to sync. I can see that like 100 items or so have been uploaded. nowhere near the speed I have available. I mean not even remotely close.

So exactly at this moment it is actually working but terribly slow. I am however sure it will lock in a little while.

31 473 items left to upload

Apr 16, 2015 3:31 PM in response to fobin

I think it could be the servers. My upload speed is averaging nearly 100 kbps, while my supposed upload speed is about 9 times that. I am not sure what other bottleneck there could be.

My ISP says that there is a problem with my link, and that I'm only getting 2/3 of what I should be getting for the uplink. A technician will be here tomorrow to fix this (one hopes, anyway). Then we'll see whether that moves the needle off of 100 kbps.

As for Apple's silence about this, be patient. Apple NEVER jumps the gun in response to complaints until they have time to thoroughly investigate causes and fixes. Remember antennagate? Assuming this has come to their attention at all ( and I can't see how it could not have, by now), I would expect to hear something from Apple about this within a couple of weeks. The product has only been out to the general public for a week, after all.

Apple is deliberate and never hasty in responding to problems. You might not like it, but that strategy has served them well so far, so look for that attitude to continue, however galling it might be to you and me.

Syncing Photos to iCloud stuck?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.