Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is iphoto not available after updating to photos update

I have read via Apple's info that I should be able to still use iPhoto after the recent Yosemite update which included the 'Photo's App'.

It appears that I cannot & that this may not be available in Australia? When Trying to open iPhoto a message appeared that I should update the iPhoto app to the latest version (which is is), however, not available in my location.

Any assistance would be most appreciated, with thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 11:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 11:39 PM

If you previously purchased iPhoto from the App Store, then it will still be in your purchases, perhaps under hidden preferences. I am in Australia and my copy I purchased is still there and when you redownload it, it will be the very latest updated version. I am using both Aperture and iPhoto still, in 10.10.3 and have simply put Photos out of sight, as I do not wish to use it at present.

Cheers

Pete

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2015 11:39 PM in response to gbogo61_from_campbelltown

If you previously purchased iPhoto from the App Store, then it will still be in your purchases, perhaps under hidden preferences. I am in Australia and my copy I purchased is still there and when you redownload it, it will be the very latest updated version. I am using both Aperture and iPhoto still, in 10.10.3 and have simply put Photos out of sight, as I do not wish to use it at present.

Cheers

Pete

Apr 14, 2015 2:23 AM in response to petermac87

I feel I'm back to square one.

Following the attempt above @ 11.43pm, nothing has advanced or been done.

So, I try and open iPhoto again & a window pops up to say 'In order to open iPhoto you need to update to the latest version. The version on this Mac is not compatible with OS X Yosemite & needs updating from the Mac Store'.

I tried this also and another window pop-up with 'The item you have requested is currently not available in the Australian store'.

Basically it does not seem to work on this Macbook Pro (2009), however, it seems all ok on my Mac when done a week ago.

Any other suggestions please?

Apr 25, 2015 12:09 AM in response to renzopanta

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

May 26, 2015 6:22 PM in response to gbogo61_from_campbelltown

I have this problem, but cant see iPhoto in my App store purchases as it came already installed on my Mac.Can anyone please help with this as I am very frustrated at getting access to my iPhotos library after upgrading to Yosemite. I have tried importing my iPhotos library to Photos but at has been running for over 24 hours and only imported 10% of my photo library. I have no way of currently accessing my photo library!

why is iphoto not available after updating to photos update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.