Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade to Server 3.22

Hello,

Still running OS X Mavericks Server I attempted to update to the latest version of the Server v 3.22 (I think) for Mavericks as normal using the "Updates" section of the App Store. The inital install went ok, but when I try to now launch the Server App and it attempts the upgrade, it quickly fails simply saying "An Unknown Error Occurred". Can anyone offer any suggestions please? I don't have any idea at this point of where to go from here.

Thanks,

David

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), null

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 10:23 PM

7 replies

Apr 18, 2015 1:07 AM in response to davidaus

Hi David,

Create a full backup of all data and settings if possible, then move the server.app to the trash.

That should generate a message stating that services have been stopped.

Go to the AppStore and download the Server.app again from your history/purchases.

When that's done, reboot and start the Server.app

If that results in a working server.app, great!

If not, report any specific errors from the console.app here (edit any personal info if needed).

Goodluck

Jeffrey

Apr 19, 2015 7:02 PM in response to jepping

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for the reply. This is a Mavericks server not Yosemite, so the Server app wasn't downloaded from the Appstore but was purchased as a Mac Mini server and came pre-installed. If I did this as described would I be able to re-install the Server app? And if so how and where would I download it from?

Also am I likely to lose data such as Profile Manager and Open Directory by doing this?

BTW I can't upgrade to Yosemite yet as there are some compatibility issues which I can't overcome at this stage.

Thanks,

David

Apr 22, 2015 8:05 PM in response to keg55

None of this worked, so I ended up restoring from a Time Machine backup and wow that didn't work well at all.
For some reason when I first launch Server after a restore it runs a wizard. After looking into this more I'm wondering whether this is ServerBackup attempting to restore the server services:

"Time Machine is the native backup service for OS X Server. OS X Server also includes a process called ServerBackup which works with Time Machine. ServerBackup performs daily backups of Open Directory (if it is enabled). These daily backups are included in the Time Machine backup of Server. ServerBackup also takes part in the restoration of server services, running during the first startup after a server has been restored, and restoring server services and databases into place after the server has started up."

Restoring OS X Server from a Time Machine backup - Apple Support

After a while it at least opens the Server App but now Open Directory won't start and Profile Manager is missing most of my data, it is almost a blank database before I did the majority of the work on it.

Help please!! Desperately need to get this working ASAP!!

Boy do I regret trying to perform the upgrade now...

Apr 22, 2015 10:44 PM in response to davidaus

Update:

So I ran the following commands to attempt an LDAP repair:

Mac OS Server Open Directory Will Not Turn On

And the following one fails as per below:

sudo db_recover -cv -h /var/db/openldap/authdata/

Finding last valid log LSN: file: 85 offset 11818

Recovery starting from [84][28]

db_recover: Log sequence error: page LSN 25 9814123; previous LSN 84 28

db_recover: Recovery function for LSN 84 7025 failed on forward pass

db_recover: PANIC: Invalid argument

db_recover: process-private: unable to find environment

db_recover: DB_ENV->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery

I've tried restoring the /var/db/openldap/ directory manually from a couple of different time machine restore points and the same sort of error occurrs. Do I just conclude that TimeMachine hasn't been backing up the OpenDirectory database properly and I'll never be able to get it back??

Thanks in advance!

Apr 29, 2015 11:20 PM in response to davidaus

When you use timemachine, timemachine does store a OpenDirectory Master archive, but in another location.

Using live data to replace live data is a bad idea.

Check your timemachine backup and access that folder as root.

Then go to any point in time and open up that folder in the terminal, navigate to your hard drive or Macintosh HD fi.

You will find as going in as root a folder /var/backups.

Inside you will find a timemachine created Archive from your OpenDirectory.

Copy that one to your desktop, then destroy and restore your OD from this Archive.

Goodluck

Jeffrey

Upgrade to Server 3.22

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.