Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud.com photo library: albums not placed into folders

Hi All,

I started using the iCloud photo library and upgraded my account to 200GB to hold my entire collection (around 50 GB on my MBP). Until now I kept all pictures in iPhoto albums without any folders or nesting. After I migrated to Photos.app I started using folders on my Mac. For example: I created a folder 'Holidays' and I moved all albums related to holiday trips into this folder. This works perfect on my MBP and syncs nicely to my iPhone and iPad: I can see the folders (I created several) and the albums I moved into the folders.

However, on iCloud.com in the Photos web-app the behaviour is differently: I can see the folders I created on my MBP but they are empty. The content (the albums) of these folders are present, but they are located in 'the root' (ie: at the same level next to the folders, not actually *in* the folders).

Is this a limitation of the iCloud.com web-app (I noticed for example that the Instagram app on my iPhone also isn't capable of working with folders but sees the 'flat' structure of albums without the folders) or am I doing something wrong here?

For the record: I use Mac OS X 10.10.3 and iOS 8.3.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 12:46 AM

4 replies

May 6, 2015 3:39 AM in response to Odiebla

Hi Odiebla, I had the same problem. Turns out (for me anyway).. it was because I used "referenced photos" in iPhoto.

ie- the iPhoto's library pointed to an actual photo in a folder on my hard drive.

In Photos if you make a smart album (File -> New Smart Album) and choose Photo is Referenced it will show you all the referenced photos you have. Odds on its the ones that are not uploading to Cloud Photo Library

If you consolidate them into the Photos library (Select then choose File -> Consolidate) they should automatically upload.

Good Luck!

May 6, 2015 4:17 AM in response to ArrowOfTime

Hi ArrowOfTime,

I checked, but I did not have any referenced photos, no nothing to consolidate 😟

The problem I have however is not that pictures are not uploaded, but it seems that iCloud's Photo's does not support Albums in Folders. Can you confirm this works for you? So what I have is a Folder "Holidays" and in that folder I store Albums like "trip 1" and "trip 2".

iCloud.com photo library: albums not placed into folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.