Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update to motion 5.2 can't open

I try 2 way

1st time update from app store and not work 😟

2nd time I delete motion from Applications to trash and fresh install and not work again 😕

how to fix? 😢

Motion 5, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Macbook Pro 17" late 2011

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 10:28 PM

6 replies

Apr 14, 2015 8:04 AM in response to osJoe

Hey osJoe, Not sure if your problem is the same since you are getting a different version number than 5.2. Probably worth a separate thread in the future. If you're not getting 5.2 there are two things to check, first make sure you are running an up-to-date OS, Motion 5.2 requires Yosemite 10.0.2 or 10.0.3. If you have the current OS installed and it still does' update over the currently installed version of Motion, drag Motion to the trash, empty the trash and re-install from the app store.

Apr 14, 2015 8:31 AM in response to GFXZen

hi

thanks for your quick reply

Yes I do have the latest os installed.Will try your option of moving to trash and re- install from the app store .However I have 2 concerns.

1. will I lose my presets and custom behaviours and filters that I saved ?

2. where do I find all the presets that I created so that I can copy and back them up somewhere ?

thanks

Apr 14, 2015 10:03 AM in response to ipoonznema

Most likely you have a corrupt font cache.

In order to repair it open Terminal.app (in Utilities inside Applications) and use these commands.

atsutil databases -removeUser

This will remove the current user's font cache.

If you want to delete the font cache for all users, use this command followed by giving your admin password:

sudo atsutil databases -remove

The password won't show up but will be accepted.

Now stop the ATS server:

atsutil server -shutdown

Then restart it:

atsutil server -ping

Quit and restart all running applications in order to avoid font confusion or make a system restart.

Apr 14, 2015 10:27 AM in response to bambule

osJoe

I'll answer this one extra bit here, if there's something else related to your install it's probably best we move to a different thread, this one is already getting mixed up with information.

User created files are basicly stored in the following locations:

~/Movies/Motion Templates (FCPX titles, Generators, Effects, Transitions)

~/Library/Application Support/Motion/Library/ - This everything else, like when you customize a behavior or layer and then drag it to the library.

Deleting the application (drag and drop to the trash) does not touch these other files. If you do want to be extra safe, you could back up the directories above as well as Motion 5.1.2 Just compress them in a .zip files. Again, just delete Motion from the application folder and then empty the trash before you try to re-install from the app store.

Update to motion 5.2 can't open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.