Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration from iPhoto '08 to Photos

Hi,

2 main questions:

• migration from iPoto '08 to Photos
  • preservation of printed media

Information:

• Hardware: MacBook Pro (Fall 2008, Early 2009) 15-inch with 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor a and 2GB memory

Currently I am still using my outdated MacBook Pro with Leopard running on it. Since I have troubles with ordering Printed Apple Photobooks out of iPhoto. It is not supported anylonger. And since I have no new updates and new software, I decided to upgrade. Both hardware and sotware.

I decided to upgrade to the latest OS (Yosemite) which should be supported by Apple.

So I ordered a new SSD to replace the hard disk and 8GB to replace my memory. With these new pieces it should run Yosemite easily.

I also orderded a license and DVD for Snow Leopard. I will install Snow Leopard on my SSD, to have a clean install. Then I will update to the latest possible version of Snow Leopard via Software Update. Afterwards I will upgrade to Yosemite via the Mac Store.

So I know how to handle the OS upgrade. But what about my iPhoto migration...

This is quite some old version: iPhoto '08 (v7.x). Offcourse I will backup my complete iPhoto Libarary before doing anything.

But should I only import my '08 Library when I have Yosemite running (I believe iPhoto '11 is included)? And then

Or will this not work? Do I need to import my '08 Library with an extra first step: import it in iPhoto when I have Snow Leopard running, then in iPhoto in Yosemite, and then in Photos in Yosemite?

And what about my Printed Photobooks I already created. Will they still be present in Photos? I spend a lot (and I mean a lot) of time creating some photobooks in iPhoto '08. I do not want to loose them in Photos. I want to order them at Apple, but iPhoto '08 won't let me. I can not find a minimum version of iPhoto required by Apple to order printed products. Perhaps I can still order with iPhoto '11?

Thanks in advance,

Sander Fiers

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Apr 13, 2015 11:10 PM

There are no replies.

Migration from iPhoto '08 to Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.