Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some trackpad gestures, especially 'Spaces', unusable

This is since Yosemite. Some trackpad gestures are slow and laggy, but the worst is what used to be called Spaces and is now 'swipe between full-screen apps'. If I invoke that, nothing happens except that all computer function except mouse movement stops dead, then maybe 10 seconds later the screen will attempt to shift but get stuck between two desktops. Eventually after a great deal of swiping I can get it back to some semblance of usability. Mission Control is almost as bad.

I just tried booting into a new user account to test it and everything works as it should. In particular I noticed that Mission Control was beautiful in that it only showed two desktops at the top. Normally I see 138 minuscule desktops in the band at the top, which is obviously idiotic.

So it's a software issue. I have 22 login items and tried disabling the ones that I thought might be responsible; they weren't. I then did a safe boot into my user account and the problem was slightly improved but still present. I have tried deselecting all trackpad gestures, restarting, re-enabling and restarting. No difference.

Where to go from here?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10), Thunderbolt Display

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 2:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 2:48 AM

Oh crikey. Managed to solve it myself straight after posting. It was the fault of the excess desktops in Mission Control. I just saw you can click a X to get rid of them and (with great difficulty) dismissed all of them but six. All is now good. Clearly at some point something had happened to create an army of unwanted desktops and that was what was slowing everything down.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2015 2:48 AM in response to Jeffrey Shaw

Oh crikey. Managed to solve it myself straight after posting. It was the fault of the excess desktops in Mission Control. I just saw you can click a X to get rid of them and (with great difficulty) dismissed all of them but six. All is now good. Clearly at some point something had happened to create an army of unwanted desktops and that was what was slowing everything down.

Some trackpad gestures, especially 'Spaces', unusable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.