Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm nervous about updating my iPad Air to ios 8. Any thoughts?

I have ios 7.1.2 on ipad air and iPhone 4s. Would like to update to ios 8, but have heard so many people with problems since updating. Can someone help an old school person decide? I want to stay up to date, but don't want devices to have problems. Should I wait longer, or is it a good idea to go ahead and try? Thanks for any help.

iPad Air, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 4:06 AM

12 replies

Apr 14, 2015 4:30 AM in response to dolphin522

Some people have problems, however you can't judge by what you read here because since this is a help forum it's predisposed to be full of people having issues and doesn't represent the majority that upgrade just fine

Just be sure to do a full backup before you upgrade, that's your insurance policy (so to speak) against issues. If something goes wrong you have the backup to restore from.

Apr 21, 2015 8:07 PM in response to dolphin522

Don't do it! I upgraded my ipad 2 to ios 8 and it's extremely slow. I recently upgraded to ios 8.3 hoping for some improvements but my ipad started to crash. Thank god I was able to downgrade to 8.2 which is super slow but at least doesn't crash.

I spent countless hours trying to figure out how to downgrade to ios 7. It turns out it's impossible.

ios 8 has nothing to offer but turns working ipad 2 into paper weight.

Apr 22, 2015 5:34 AM in response to Romanm5

Romanm5 wrote:

Don't do it! I upgraded my ipad 2 to ios 8 and it's extremely slow. I recently upgraded to ios 8.3 hoping for some improvements but my ipad started to crash. Thank god I was able to downgrade to 8.2 which is super slow but at least doesn't crash.

I spent countless hours trying to figure out how to downgrade to ios 7. It turns out it's impossible.

ios 8 has nothing to offer but turns working ipad 2 into paper weight.

An iPad 2 is two generations of hardware earlier than an iPad Air. The experience of running iOS 8 on an iPad 2 and an iPad Air is not comparable. So, while your experience may not have been what you wanted, it's not really relevant to the OP's question. iOS 8 works beautifully on an iPad Air.

Restore your iPad as new using iTunes. This has helped many people who have issues, especially if they did the original update over the air.

Apr 22, 2015 5:56 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

PPerhaps it's doesn't impact iPad Air but the questions mentions iPhone 4s as well. iOS 4s will definitely negativly impact that phone, potentially it'lll make a brick out of it - just google "problems with iOS 8"

I did use iTunes to upgrade my iPad 2. Still in case of iOS 8.3 my iPad was frequently crashing on top of being super slow. iOS 8.2 is super slow but at least it's stable. I optimized whatever I could but it didn't help much.

May 5, 2015 2:14 PM in response to dolphin522

Be aware of a major downside to upgrading! It's not just about performance but about changes in the interface, especially on key apps.

Safari under iOS 8 is a full screen app. What that means is that it operates unlike the desktop Safari or like Safari under iOS 7!!

The bookmarks and tabs are hidden, a frustrating design that means it requires two steps whereas it always used to require only 1 to move between tabs! You can turn back on the bookmarks (IIRC-- I'm away from my iOS 8 Mini RD), but there is NO option to keep tabs displayed. It also means a visually busy, distracting screen as the tab bar hides,and reappears depending upon how you scroll! Distraction City!

Also, while one may be tempted by dreams of 3rd party keyboards, count us among those who find them plagued by issues- see reviews on iTunes. So, that's not really a benefit.

The one big plus, the panorama mode, is a treat on the Mini, but photography is ungainly on the Air, so it's no big gain.

Others, of course, enjoy these features or aren't bothered by the changes, but the problem is, once you take the plunge, you can't go back! If 7.1.2 is running fine for you--and there's no app you absolutely need that only can run under iOS 8--stick with 7!

<Edited by Host>

I'm nervous about updating my iPad Air to ios 8. Any thoughts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.