Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup of all Photos from iCloud photo libary

I own an iPhone 6 16 GB and my iCloud Photo libary is now 18 GB which does not fit to my phone anymore when I want to re download them all in full size back to my iPhone. Since I dont own a MAC does anybody have an idea how to download / backup my complete photo libary to my Windows PC? To download 9800 Pictures, picture by picture cant be the solution 🙂

Thanks in advance for your great ideas

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 4:41 AM

8 replies

Apr 14, 2015 4:54 AM in response to flexymexy

have you tried to download the photos using the Photos.app at https://www.icloud.com?

You can select all photos at once from the "All Photos" view and click "Download".

Or transfer the photos using iTunes.

I have not tested that with a PC, however.

iCloud Photo Library FAQ - Apple Support

Do I need a Backup?

iCloud Photo Library stores all of your original photos and videos in iCloud, but we always recommend you keep back up copies of your Library. You can download your photos and videos from iCloud to your computer and store them as a seperate library, transfer them to your computer with iTunes, or store them on a separate drive.

Apr 14, 2015 5:07 AM in response to léonie

Hey Leonie,

Thanks but i already tried this from different PCs and with different browsers, but soon i select more then 10~ pictures / videos the downloads starts but it does not download the pictures, it downloads files but iam not able to open them. only when i add the correct file type ending to each separate file... :O

Apr 14, 2015 7:57 AM in response to flexymexy

I don't have my home PC in front of me so I'm kinda guessing (and responding to find this later on this evening when I'm home) but what I do is have the iCloud for windows on my computer

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1455?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

WHich puts a 'icloud' photos folder on my computer. I can then go into there and download the photos. It is a little confusing because since you see the folder you'd think it's on your computer, but it's not. You'll need to select and download the photos. (and you can also use it to transfer photos from your computer to your iPad, just upload photos into there and they will sync to the devices)

Anyway, something you can experiment with and see if it works for you and when I get home and have my PC in front of me I can give you some more specific suggestions if you need them.

Apr 14, 2015 10:09 AM in response to flexymexy

As Skydiver says, the iCloud for Windows control panel should allow your computer to download the images in your Photo Stream. However it should download them to local storage, not simply act as a viewer for what is stored in the cloud. You potentially get a number of folders. I have the following showing in my "My Pictures" folder, presumably partly because I have enabled the iTunes Family Sharing feature

iCloud Photos

My Photo Stream

Sharing

Family

Uploads

You can also manually copy off the content of your Camera Roll at any time, then delete what has already been copied off the device to free up space. When your device is connected to your computer and there is any content in the camera roll then it should show up in Windows Explorer and exploring within it will reveal one or more folders containing images.

tt2

Nov 8, 2015 6:06 PM in response to Skydiver119

I need to do this as well, but I need to do it for 1900 photos. When I try, Windows opens each file up individually to save. Which will be hours of my life I won't get back... PhotoStream only has the most recent photos and I want ALL the photos from iCloud downloaded into my PC. Help?

(I have Windows 7 and the iCloud app installed and set up.)

Backup of all Photos from iCloud photo libary

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.