Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external gps not working with ios 8.3

I use a Garmin GLO external GPS with my iPad Mini for VFR GPS fling and after installing IOS 8.3 the GPS feed no longer works. When will 8.3.1 be available to fix this or will there be an option to roll-back?

iPad Mini, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 8:00 AM

6 replies

Apr 15, 2015 5:44 AM in response to timewbank

In a nutshell, the 8.3 release introduced a bug in the way that iOS communicates with external devices that use the external accessory protocol iAP1, like the GLO, Dual, and Bad Elf Pro.

Newer devices intended to work with the Lightning connector Apple products use the second version of the protocol, iAP2, like the Bad Elf Pro+ are not impacted by this change. However, these iAP2 devices will only work with the Lightning connector Apple devices. All 30-pin Dock connector devices use only iAP1.

Apple is aware of the issue and we are hopeful that the next release will correct things. That should also fix the interaction between your GLO and the iPad mini.

Please see the following post for an explanation and future updates:

http://bad-elf.com/blogs/bad-elf/18013536-alert-compatibility-issue-with-apple-i os-8-3-and-external-gps-receivers

Apr 25, 2015 6:04 PM in response to jcbandxi

jcbandxi wrote:

In a nutshell, the 8.3 release introduced a bug in the way that iOS communicates with external devices that use the external accessory protocol iAP1, like the GLO, Dual, and Bad Elf Pro.

Newer devices intended to work with the Lightning connector Apple products use the second version of the protocol, iAP2, like the Bad Elf Pro+ are not impacted by this change. However, these iAP2 devices will only work with the Lightning connector Apple devices. All 30-pin Dock connector devices use only iAP1.

Apple is aware of the issue and we are hopeful that the next release will correct things. That should also fix the interaction between your GLO and the iPad mini.

Please see the following post for an explanation and future updates:

http://bad-elf.com/blogs/bad-elf/18013536-alert-compatibility-issue-with-apple-i os-8-3-and-external-gps-receivers

The next release will not correct things. Apparently, this "bug" in iOS is actually a change to the iPod Accessory Protocol published in 2012. It all makes sense now. Users (and hardware vendors) who aren't used to dealing with Apple might not be used to this. Apple regularly publishes changes to its protocols and then deprecates the old version. When that happens, the 3rd party vendors are supposed to update their software to be compatible. Many do not do this. They choose to wait until Apple actually turns off support for the old protocol and things break. Then they blame Apple for "breaking" their devices. On OS X, Apple usually goes about 9 years from official deprecation to ending support. Makers and users of 3rd party NAS devices discovered this in 2011 when Apple turned off support for an old, insecure authentication protocol it had deprecated in 2002. It is happening right now because Apple has turned off support for Startup Items in Yosemite after telling vendors to stop using them in 2006. On iOS, Apple uses a compressed timeframe for releases which seems to be about 3 years.

Apr 28, 2015 3:48 AM in response to timewbank

I am still having the same problem with CoPilot Nav app running through a Dual XGPS150A GPSBluetooth receiver. The location service on my iPad says CoPilot is using location service but the app can't get a GPS Fix. This happened after I updated to iOS 8.3. It left me stranded in Spain with no Sat Nav to get to my destinations. This is also an issue in the aviation sector as many light aircraft pilots use iPads and CoPilot navigation apps as well.

Fortunately my son leant me his Nexus 7 to use as an E-Reader and it has a GPS receive built in. After being stuck with no WiFi for 4 days I was able to download CoPilot for Android and a extra cost to me. I now have a excellent Sat Nav which has performed faultlessly.

I sorry but I am not interested in listening to "techies" ping pong the blame. It worked with iOS 8.2 and it doesn't work with iOS 8.3 - Apple's Problem.

As soon as I get back to the UK my iPad is going on Ebay and my iPhone 5 as well.

This wouldn't have happened before Steve passed away and certainly won't be happening to me again.

external gps not working with ios 8.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.