Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Unable to parse the opf file" of my book, what to do?

We have created a neat little eBook with iBooks Author, following all the specifications, keeping an eye on memory limits, etc., and using some of the widgets, but we are getting an error message when we try to submit the book through iTunes Producer, so we can't cross the finish line (after which there is a beer waiting, but not yet.)

This eBook process has taken us about one year to complete.

This is the error message that appears on the system: "Error ITMS-9000 'Unable to parse opf file container.xml' at Book.

I know a little bit about EPUBs, and I know this is not a playground-variety error message. So I need help.

There are a few threads out there that address this issue (but not really, more like people drowning and crying "help" while the sea whirl drags them down to the depths).

Here is the issue: Our file is not a standard EPUB file that you can whip up with Sigil, and then mess with the manifest; it is a fully loaded peacock authored and designed with iBooks Author, complete with sound files, widgets, etc. Hence my worry.

Any suggestions so that I can sleep tonight? They would be much appreciated.

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 9:23 AM

11 replies

Apr 14, 2015 1:21 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thank you Tom. There is probably something wrong with the manifest, and the asset list, I guess. I will need to reach out to the iBooks folks, and ask for their help.

Nope, the book is in English, with a few Spanish words here and there. It works beautifully on my two iPads and the Mac. This situation kind of reminds me of the Sigil checker: the code was clean (or kind of), the book looked nice and worked fine, but if Sigil didn't like it, no book.

But, for future reference, if someone gets this error message over and over again, it looks like your best bet is to seek support from the iBooks folks.

Apr 15, 2015 7:25 AM in response to Mibuko

If the *.ibooks file was created by the most current version (2.2) and hasn't been modified by any other means, it should sail right through the iTunes Connect process. Unlike ePub, you should not have to use a validator or worry about the innards of the *.ibooks file.

Things to double-check:

Current version of iBA (2.2)

Inspector > Document: all relevant meta data is included.

Media filenames don't contain odd characters (e.g. accented chars from non-English languages). Re-name (simplify) and change the media files.

Invisible characters that are unusual (e.g. one can introduce a non-breaking space from the keyboard). These may show up if you Show Invisibles

Your project was created from a template, not a duplicate of another *.iba file.

Apr 15, 2015 11:01 PM in response to Frank Lowney

These are great suggestions Frank. Yes, I have the latest version of iBooks Author, but my file names can use some cleaning up, big time.

I am copying and pasting quite a few scroll-bar widgets from an older version of the book, can this be causing the problem too?

Regarding the "Invisibles", I'll look into that as well.

"Sail right through the iTunes Connect process"... I'll drink a beer to that. 🙂

Apr 16, 2015 7:01 AM in response to Mibuko

Re copy/paste transfer of widgets, how are you doing that? I copy/cut an entire scrolling sidebar from one iBA project and then attempted to paste it into another iBA project. That was not successful. I was able to copy/paste this widget within the same iBA project. If all you are doing is copying the text of a scrolling sidebar from one iBA project to another, that should not be a problem.

In my experience, iBA will not allow the transfer of any widget from one project to another. It will, however, allow the copy/paste transfer of the media contained in a widget (text, video, audio, images, etc.) from one project to another. It will allow the transfer (cut/paste) or duplication (copy/paste) of entire widgets within the same iBA project.

Apr 16, 2015 8:10 AM in response to Frank Lowney

Yep, i just did it again. The entire scroll-bar widget, complete with formatted text, graphics, etc., pasted itself nicely in another book. Two different files, the same widget.

I use the scroll-bar widgets for most of my texts. (I have audio buttons on the side, and the scripts are within the widget, to the side). My only text is within widgets, and text boxes, naturally.

I am following your recommendation: cleaning files, etc. I am remaking the book anew. I need to convince the EPUB bot or whatever that my file looks and works nicely on all my devices. You would expect an error message when previewing the book: 'Hey Amigo, your file is flawed, stop working on it, and get back to the drawing board." Should be able to try again next Monday.

Apr 16, 2015 8:31 AM in response to Mibuko

Let's see if we can reconcile my failure to do this with your success. We first need to clarify terms. I have two iBooks Author projects open. These are *.iba files created using two different templates. Is this the same thing as when you say, "book" or are you manipulating *.ibooks files by opening them using control-click in Finder selecting Show Package Contents"? They can also be opened with an unzip utility such as The Unarchiver.

I just tried and failed again. I can copy a scrolling sidebar widget from one *.iba file and I can see it in Finder (Edit > Show Clipboard). However, I cannot paste it into another *.iba file.

Apr 16, 2015 8:57 AM in response to Frank Lowney

Yes, they are both .iba files, and they have a different names. I right click on the scroll-bar widget, copy it, then I go to the other file, paste it, and there it is. It scrolls, the graphics are there, and the text is formatted.

Then I did a sort of control experiment (you got me curious): I created two new .iba files, book 1 & book 2. I created a scroll-bar widget in book 1, changed its background color, and added a .png image inside. Then I copied the widget and proceeded to paste it successfully in book 2.

When you start to think of what's going on in the background of iBooks Author, the scarier it gets. And the more you are afraid to do anything with it.

Apr 16, 2015 9:05 AM in response to Mibuko

I will add that now I am formatting my book without losing mind of the rules that I am creating. When I modify the opacity, I am hitting the (opacity: 0.4;) property directly; I add a widget, in goes a pile of JavaScript, etc., etc.

Not the ideal way to use this software, and not conductive to peace of mind, but the book must be finished. Gotta be a believer...

Apr 16, 2015 10:03 AM in response to Mibuko

Ah Ha! I was selecting the widget and then copying with Cmd-C in one *.iba file and then Cmd-V in the other *.iba file. This fails. However, if I follow the Cmd-C with either Edit > Paste or Control-click (same as right-click) > Paste, it is successful. Even more confounding is the fact that once you've succeeded with Paste in the second *.iba file, then Cmd-V works there too.

There's a bug report in here somewhere.

So, if iBA allows the operation, it should correctly form the *.ibooks file. ... unless there is a bug lurking there too.

One last thing. Your *.iba files are both created from a template, right? Duplicating *.iba files cause all sorts of unpredictable behavior.

"Unable to parse the opf file" of my book, what to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.