Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will installing Yosemite disable my internal DVD drive?

I have an Intel 27" iMac with Mountain Lion (10.8.5) on it. I'm wondering if upgrading to Yosemite will disable my internal DVD drive. This happened to my neighbour and she was told by Apple support to use an external DVD drive because it couldn't be fixed. I'm wondering if this is a common problem or an isolated incident. I use my drive all the time for my work.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 12:04 PM

harmswor wrote:

I have an Intel 27" iMac with Mountain Lion (10.8.5) on it. I'm wondering if upgrading to Yosemite will disable my internal DVD drive. This happened to my neighbour and she was told by Apple support to use an external DVD drive because it couldn't be fixed. I'm wondering if this is a common problem or an isolated incident. I use my drive all the time for my work.

No it will not affect the DVD drive at all. My guess is your neighbors DVD drive had a mechanical problem and her options were to have it replaced or purchase an external DVD drive. Assuming your internal DVD drive is working okay now it will work fine with Yosemite too.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2015 12:04 PM in response to harmswor

harmswor wrote:

No it will not affect the DVD drive at all. My guess is your neighbors DVD drive had a mechanical problem and her options were to have it replaced or purchase an external DVD drive. Assuming your internal DVD drive is working okay now it will work fine with Yosemite too.

Will installing Yosemite disable my internal DVD drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.