Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help! Bootcamp boots to black screen with blinking cursor

HI I have a macbook4,1

I am trying to install windows 7 onto my mac. The partitioning goes fine, but then it reboots. All I get is a black screen with a blinking cursor. I have installed windows 7 to this mac before, using the same procedure as before. All my usb devices are removed and have used usb devices and I know the installation disc works, as well as my cd drive.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 11:35 AM

21 replies

Apr 14, 2015 1:31 PM in response to jdogboy

From How to identify MacBook models - Apple Support, is this what you have?

User uploaded file
MacBook (13-inch, Late 2008)
MacBook4,1 MB402xx/B 13.3"/D2.1G/2x512/120/SD-DL

From System requirements to install Windows on your Mac via Boot Camp - Apple Support, your specific model is not mentioned, but the Early 2008 model supports W7 32-bit only.

MacBook

Mac model Windows 8
64-bit
Windows 7
64-bit
Windows 7
32-bit
Windows Vista
64-bit
Windows Vista
32-bit
Windows XP
32-bit
MacBook (13-inch, Early 2008) - - 4 - DVD DVD

Please see Boot Camp: Windows installation boots to black screen with blinking cursor - Apple Support on one method to install Windows.

Apr 14, 2015 7:28 PM in response to jdogboy

The black screen indicates two possible issues,

1. The installer does not have a GPU driver for Mac, or,

2. The USB device with BC drivers is corrupted. When was the last time this device was used?

3. Disconnect your USB. Power cycle your Mac and select the CD/DVD with the Windows Installer. Are you able to select the existing partition, format it and install Windows?

Please help! Bootcamp boots to black screen with blinking cursor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.