Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Are Security Updates cumulative?

Just updated a MBA to Mountain Lion. I see there are several security updates: 4 for 2015, 5 for 2014, and 3 for 2013. Does the highest number for the year contain all previous for that year or do I have to install them individually?

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 12:16 PM

16 replies

Aug 26, 2015 7:18 PM in response to Kappy

I've just installed Security Update 2015-006 on my sparingly used Mac Mini running Mountain Lion 10.8.5. Someone told me to look at System Information -> Software -> Installations to see all the prior software update on my system. Comparing the list with the one on my main machine, a MacBook Pro, I've noticed that I am missing installation of some of the prior Security Updates - specifically, 2014-002, 2014-005, 2015-001, 2015-003, 2015-004, and 2015-005.

You use the word SHOULD which does not imply certainty. Is there a way to check whether the updates listed above are actually installed on my system (presumably during the installation of the other updates listed as installed)?

If not, would it be potentially damaging to try installing the ones missing from the list displayed at System Information -> Software -> Installations in their numerical order?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 27, 2015 3:40 AM in response to Kappy

Thanks for clarifying.

So, given that the Software Update installer did not prompt me with any such warning/request, I should rest assured that 2015-003, -004 and -005 were included with 2015-006.

Wouldn't it be nice if there is some system confirmation of that. It makes you wonder is it so difficult to list those included updates as installed on the System Information -> Software -> Installations list. Or, a way to produce such a list, perhaps...

Aug 27, 2015 12:36 PM in response to marinnen

That information usually is included in the associated article Apple releases to explain "What's included in this update." The article can be located via Apple's online Support site. If the update comes via the App Store updates, then most of the article is included in the information included with the update itself or has a link to the associated article.

Apple makes every effort to tell users how important it is to keep your system up to date by installing new updates when released.

Aug 28, 2015 7:48 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy, isn't there a way to see the receipts for installed updates? OK, I found them in the Software Update item in System Preferences under the Installed Software tab (this is on Mac OS 10.7.5 a.k.a."Lion"). What is interesting is that I have SU 2014-001, 2014-003, and 2014-004 installed but no record of 2014-002. I may have gone directly from 001 to 003 so 002 was installed as part of 003.

Aug 28, 2015 10:40 AM in response to Eric Root

BTDT No T-shirt.

Eric, Under which of the following sub-headings should the Security Updates be listed:

Applications

Components

Developer

Extensions

Fonts

Frameworks

Logs

Managed Clients

Preference Panes

Printer Software

Profiles

Startup Items

Sync Services

Universal Access

I ignored the more obvious ones like Fonts, Printer Software, etc. and didn't find the updates listed in any of the others. As I said above I DID find them listed in the "Software Installed tab of the Software Update Preference Pane. Oh there were some application updates listed in the Software Update Log but not the SU ones.

Aug 28, 2015 11:08 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy,

That is well known. Description of 2015-006 update, however, does not explicitly state that prior updates are included, nor does it include their content as part of itself.

My question was - is there a way to display explicitly all Security Updates that have been actually installed on my system, either directly by me or indirectly as part of the latest update that you assert is cumulative?

On my Mac Mini, running 10.8.5,, listed under System Information -> Software -> Installations are only those updates that I have initiated. As I stated in my original post above, in 2015, those are 2015-002 and 2015-006. Is there any way to get a confirmation from the system that the ones I did not install directly (i.e., 2015-001, -003, -004 and -005) have actually been installed as part of my 2015-006 installation?

Aug 28, 2015 12:50 PM in response to marinnen

marinnen wrote:

Kappy,

That is well known. Description of 2015-006 update, however, does not explicitly state that prior updates are included, nor does it include their content as part of itself.

My question was - is there a way to display explicitly all Security Updates that have been actually installed on my system, either directly by me or indirectly as part of the latest update that you assert is cumulative?

On my Mac Mini, running 10.8.5,, listed under System Information -> Software -> Installations are only those updates that I have initiated. As I stated in my original post above, in 2015, those are 2015-002 and 2015-006. Is there any way to get a confirmation from the system that the ones I did not install directly (i.e., 2015-001, -003, -004 and -005) have actually been installed as part of my 2015-006 installation?

Have you checked where I found mine as I mentioned in my August 28, 2015 7:48 A.M. post above? System Preferences>Software Update>Software Installed tab

Aug 29, 2015 2:30 AM in response to romad

Romad,

System Preferences>Software Update>Software Installed tab is available in10.7.5, not under any later versions of the OS X. If you read my posts above, you'll see that under 10.8.5, running on my Ma Mini, such information is available under System Information -> Software -> Installations that you can get to from the  menu with the option/alt key held down (as suggested by Eric Root above).

You may also notice from those posts that I have obtained the listing of the installed Security Updates and that, just like in your case, some are missing. That's what prompted my original post with question to Kappy. While he's assuring us that the updates are cumulative, implying that the ones missing from the System Information -> Software -> Installations list are actually installed by the last update 2015-006, I was asking for some system confirmation of that. Apparently, there's no easy way to get that and that's a shame.

Are Security Updates cumulative?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.