Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does FCPX 10.2 runs on Maverick ?

HI there,

I am now still using FCPX Ver 10.1 on Maverick.

Anyone knows whether this latest FCPX Ver 10.2 will run on Maverick ?

Or will it only run on Yosemite ?

Thank you

Cheers

15.4, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 27" iMac - 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 1GB ATI Radeon HD, i5 QuadCore

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 3:22 AM

10.10.2 or later only.

31 replies

Apr 30, 2015 3:43 AM in response to RyanManUtd

RyanManUtd wrote:

Tom Wolsky wrote:

10.10.2 or later only.

Oh my, that means in order to take advantage of FCPX 10.2, I must upgrade the OS to Yosemite ...

I intend to do step by step. After I upgrade my OS to Yosemite, will my present FCPX Ver 1.0 runs on Yosemite ?

Thanks

As always, have a good confirmed working backuo before any update, prefereably two. I always rely on a clone made with SuperDuper (or Carbon Copy Cloner) in addition to Time Machine. If anything goes wrong you can always boot from the clone. That said, Yosemite has been working perfectly for me, and 10.2 is a great release, well worth having.

Regarding your current version: you wrote 1.0 - did you mean 10.0? That does not work. 10.1, I am not sure, but 10.1.2 and later work.

Apr 30, 2015 4:37 AM in response to RyanManUtd

RyanManUtd wrote:

Oh my, that means in order to take advantage of FCPX 10.2, I must upgrade the OS to Yosemite ...

Just to point out that an alternative is to install Yosemite - either on another physical drive – or by partitioning your current system drive. (It may well be possible to create the partition without erasing your current system.) You could then boot from either volume – with Mavericks on one and Yosemite on the other and install the 10.2 version on the Yosemite system.

Russ

Apr 30, 2015 5:11 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis Sequeira1 wrote:

RyanManUtd wrote:

Tom Wolsky wrote:

10.10.2 or later only.

I intend to do step by step. After I upgrade my OS to Yosemite, will my present FCPX Ver 1.0 runs on Yosemite ?

Thanks

As always, have a good confirmed working backuo before any update, prefereably two. I always rely on a clone made with SuperDuper (or Carbon Copy Cloner) in addition to Time Machine. If anything goes wrong you can always boot from the clone. That said, Yosemite has been working perfectly for me, and 10.2 is a great release, well worth having.

Regarding your current version: you wrote 1.0 - did you mean 10.0? That does not work. 10.1, I am not sure, but 10.1.2 and later work.

Thanks Luis,

There was a typo. I meant to say my current version is 10.1.

So, 10.1 won't work on Yosemite, rite ?

Apr 30, 2015 5:15 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom Wolsky wrote:

No, it will not. You would need to update to 10.1.4, which will run on both Mavericks and Yosemite.

Thanks Tom,

So, what is the best way to go about doing it ?

Upgrade from 10.1 to 10.1.4 in Maverick, then install Yosemite and upgrade to 10.2. And will my projects & events created in Ver 10.1 and earlier works ?

OR

Upgrade OS to Yosemite first, then install 10.2 ... if I use this method, when I first launch 10.2, will it prompt me upgrade my Events & projects file ? And will my projects & events created in Ver 10.1 and earlier works ?

Thanks again,

Cheers

Apr 30, 2015 7:44 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom Wolsky wrote:

RRuss's suggestion of a partitioned drive or a separate boot dream be is the best solution, so you can back up older version libraries with their OS before installing the new OS and the current version. There's only a small window of versions 10.1.2, 10.1.3, and 10.1.4 that work in both OSs.

Thanks Tom,

But I am not so technical and computer savy to install partition drive ....

So am I correct in reading you that events and projects created in FCPX Ver 10.1 or earlier cannot be upgraded when first launched by FCPX 10.2.

I have another suggestion. If I upgrade my FCPX from 10.1 to 10.1.4, then upgrade all the events & projects in 10.1.4. After that upgrade to Yosemite followed by installing FCPX 10.2. Then I upgrade the Events & Projects (which by now was upgraded to Ver 10.1.4) to 10.2 using FCPX 10.2.

Will this work ?

Thanks

Apr 30, 2015 8:31 AM in response to Russ H

Russ H wrote:

Just to point out that an alternative is to install Yosemite - either on another physical drive – or by partitioning your current system drive. (It may well be possible to create the partition without erasing your current system.) You could then boot from either volume – with Mavericks on one and Yosemite on the other and install the 10.2 version on the Yosemite system.

Russ

Thank Russ,

I just check using Utilities like how the link provided by Ian says.

I went to my Macintosh Volume and it says that I have 3TB of fusion drive.

When I said I want to create 2 partition, it named it as Macintosh and Macintosh 2.

Questions:

1. Say if I use Macintosh as Maverick and Macintosh 2 for Yosemite, how do I know what should be the size of both the partitions Macintosh & Macintosh 2 ?

2. What should I put in the Maverick partition ? Only the FCPX 10.1 and its Events & Projects folder ? And how do I do that ?

3. So, I shall put the rest of the applications in Yosemite partition ? So I must start FCPX 10.2 afresh with new events and folders altogether ?

Thanks

Apr 30, 2015 8:37 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Ian R. Brown wrote:

Creating a new partition on your hard drive is very simple using Disk Utility and takes a minute or so.

Installing Mavericks and FCP X on it will take longer of course. 😉

http://osxdaily.com/2011/04/26/partition-hard-drive-mac-os-x/

Thanks Ian,

So, it is faster to install FCPX 10.1.4 and upgrade the events and projects to 10.1.4 ?

Problem is where do I purchase FCPX 10.1.4 now that Version 10.2 is available ?

Thanks

Apr 30, 2015 10:24 AM in response to RyanManUtd

The simplest procedure would be to keep your existing Mavericks as the main hard drive and create a small (or large!) partition on which to put Yosemite and FCP X 10.2

Simply call the new partition something sensible like "Yosemite HD"

Whilst you are at it, you could alter the name of the original HD to "Mavericks HD"

Note that you can change the names of your hard drives at any time just the same as altering the name on a folder.

Does FCPX 10.2 runs on Maverick ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.