You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My apple configurator does not recognize any devices plugged into the USB in 'prepare' menu?

When devices are plugged in by USB I can use the supervise and assign features, but no prepare. I've tried the advice I found here:Apple Configurator does not see devices. But still nothing and the profiles Configurator added were still there. If I relaunch Configurator I get the little 'ting' of it acknowledging that it's e connected. I can change anything I want in Supervise and Assign, but what I need to do the most is change the name that appears on the first screen to a different student's name. Anyone had this happen before?

iPad, iOS 8.3, Configurator, USB

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 11:53 AM

1 reply

Apr 14, 2015 12:46 PM in response to UATT Assistant

Okay so I figured it out. I inherited the Configurator already set up so I didn't realize that our former administrator was brilliant and set things up a little differently. To anyone else who finds themselves in this spot try this:

After you plug the iPad in and open Configurator instead of trying to 'Prepare' the device click 'Assign'

There should be groups of Users listed on the left hand side of the screen.

Select the group you want the ipad to be a part of, or make a new group. ***Note a group can be one person so this is a good feature for teachers to have individual app assignements for students.

After you select the user group click the little plus ( + ) button on the bottom of the screen under the second column of info where names and device serial numbers should appear.

Type the name of the person, group, whatever you want to identify that assignment by into the blank that pops up after you hit the plus ( + )

Then select the assignment you just made and tohe 'Check Our' button at the bottom. At this point a box will pop up with a window at the top listing all devices supervised by Configurator. There is a tiny down arrow button that opens a scroll down menu to the right of this box. Click that, then select the device connected by USB as the one to assign.

The name of the assignment you gave it will show on the lock screen now and you can assign apps and profiles to the device like you would any other device in your Configurator inventory.

Good Luck.

My apple configurator does not recognize any devices plugged into the USB in 'prepare' menu?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.