Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to pull #2 drive, put it in Ext case and read on a Yosemite iMac?

Hello All,

Is it possible to pull the 2nd drive (3TB) used just for storage, out of a PowerMac (OS X 10.6.8) and put it in an external case and read the contents on a new iMac (Yosemite)?

Thanks,

Unit_1000

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 1:01 PM

5 replies

Apr 14, 2015 4:28 PM in response to BDAqua

I'm sorry... you are correct it's a Mac Pro.

Ok I tried doing this, I pulled the drive, put it in an external USB 3 case and plugged it into the iMac.

It did not read the drive as is with all its contents. It only offered to format the newly attached ext drive which I declined.

Any suggestions on how to make it readable?

Thanks,

Unit_1000

Apr 14, 2015 4:47 PM in response to Unit_1000

What format is the disk's partition?

What format is the volume - does it work OK in the original Mac?

See what /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility reports when the disk is connected to the Mac Pro.

It is possible for some disk cases to be unable to support 'large volumes' I think these are over 2TB. USB3 cases should support that but maybe it is just a bad case? Does the disk work when in the case & connected to the original Mac Pro? Also try other leads & ports too.

You may want to consider using Target Disk Mode to see if the disk will mount over a Firewire connection…

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode - Apple Support

Place it back in the Mac Pro & boot that holding T. The Mac Pro disks will mount on the iMac if you can hook up a Firewire lead between them.

Apr 16, 2015 2:04 PM in response to Drew Reece

Drew Reece Apr 14, 2015 4:47 PM
Re: Is it possible to pull #2 drive, put it in Ext case and read on a Yosemite iMac? in response to Unit_1000

What format is the disk's partition?

What format is the volume - does it work OK in the original Mac?

See what /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility reports when the disk is connected to the Mac Pro.

Answer: Mac OS Extended (Journaled) The drive appears and works normally in the Mac Pro

See attached photo.

It is possible for some disk cases to be unable to support 'large volumes' I think these are over 2TB. USB3 cases should support that but maybe it is just a bad case? Does the disk work when in the case & connected to the original Mac Pro? Also try other leads & ports too.

Answer: I checked the specs on the external drive case. It supports up to 4TB. And upon installing another drive in the case, and attaching it to a PC the drive, case and cable all work fine.

Question: Is the format Mac OS Extended the problem? Is it not compatible with OS X Yosemite?

Thanks,

Unit_1000

User uploaded file

Apr 16, 2015 3:27 PM in response to Unit_1000

Does the Mac Pro or the iMac show the correct size when attached to the case that works on the PC?

You could also check the partition type, select the '3TB ST3000DM001-1C…' item in the Disk Utility's sidebar & see what the 'Partition Map Scheme' is set as. Ideally it would be GUID.

Are there any visible jumpers on the disk? I doubt there are any, but they are usually near the connector if any exist.

Is it possible to pull #2 drive, put it in Ext case and read on a Yosemite iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.