Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pay without Touch ID

Apple Support says that you can start using Apple Pay with "Touch ID or passcode on your device" Every demonstration for using Apple Pay indicates that Touch ID is required. The Community says that Touch ID is required. I'm confused. Can I use Apple Pay if I only have a passcode?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2017 7:11 AM

See About Apple Pay - Apple Support. From the section How secure is Apple Pay it states:

Every transaction on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac requires you to authenticate with Touch ID or your passcode.

Under Settings > Touch ID & Passcode if you turn off Touch ID for Apple Pay I presume you need to use the device passcode.

tt2

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2017 7:11 AM in response to autrefois

See About Apple Pay - Apple Support. From the section How secure is Apple Pay it states:

Every transaction on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac requires you to authenticate with Touch ID or your passcode.

Under Settings > Touch ID & Passcode if you turn off Touch ID for Apple Pay I presume you need to use the device passcode.

tt2

Jul 27, 2017 7:00 AM in response to Bizzenwoof

So if I understand correctly, it's not possible to use Apple Pay unless you have TouchID set up? Does this mean only works with a passcode if you have TouchID set up and it doesn't recognize your fingerprint? I've tried it 3 times at 3 different stores with my code (Touch ID not set up) and haven't had any success yet.

If you can use it without TouchID set up, could someone please say the exact steps in order since the demo doesn't show this for paying with a passcode? Thank you

Apr 14, 2015 10:26 PM in response to Lee1105

From page 125 of the iPhone iOS 8.1 User Guide:

" ... you can start by holding the iPhone near a reader until the screen asks you to authenticate with Touch ID or your passcode, then hold iPhone near the reader again to pay."

Of course, you still require a requisite device to use Apple Pay (iPhone 6, iPhone 6+, or Apple Watch).

The iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 also support Apple Pay, but only within Apps, which I believe means you must use Touch ID.

May 11, 2015 1:42 PM in response to Lee1105

No, you cannot sadly when it says "use with Touch ID or Passcode" it means (in the times I've used it) if Touch ID can't read your fingerprint after a few tries it says "pay with passcode" then you type in your passcode instead of Touch ID. You can't use the standalone passcode because then anyone who knows your code could use your phone to pay. I hope I helped 🙂

Apple Pay without Touch ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.