Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod shuffle 2nd generation not recognized

My old iPod shuffle (2nd gen) is not showing up on my computer desktop or in the source list in iTunes. Hasn't been used for years, is now charged and all lights show a good status, can still hear old playlist on it, but cannot load anything new or delete stuff. I would like to restore it and start fresh but, in order to do that, I must be able to select it from the iTunes source list and it isn't showing up there. Any suggestions?

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 12:36 PM

9 replies

Apr 18, 2015 7:29 AM in response to QuickPost

New development. While researching the fastest way I can get a replacement dock/cable I kept trying to get the current one to work. At one point it did appear on my Mac and in ITunes so I went through the Restore process. As expected, all the music that was on it is now gone, but again I can't see it on my computer or in iTunes. When I have it connected to the computer, the yellow light blinks continuously which, according to the user guide, means "Do not disconnect." That means the computer knows the iPod is connected even though I can't see it. So I am wondering if the cable is actually OK and I've got some setting on the computer that is hiding the iPod from view. Have you ever come across that?

Apr 23, 2015 5:46 PM in response to QuickPost

Well, this has been a real puzzle and I appreciate your advice. I tried everything you suggested, everything I could find in other posts, everything I could read on Apple support and troubleshooting pages and nothing made a difference. I pretty much gave up and decided to leave it alone for a few days and I don't know what happened, but all of a sudden things changed when I tried again. My Mac was on, the Ipod was off, I plugged it into the Mac (and the yellow light started blinking but no iPod showed up on the desktop or in iTunes), then shut the Mac down for a few minutes and left the iPod off and plugged in. When I turned the Mac back on I noticed that the only items in the dock that were "on" or "active" were the Finder and iTunes so I double clicked on iTunes and watched in amazement as it welcomed me to my "new iPod." I followed the on-screen directions and the iPod appeared on the desktop and in iTunes at long last and I was able to download two audiobooks successfully. I don't get it but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. I'm writing all this here in case some other poor soul is struggling with the same problem and has not yet tried all the steps described in these 9 posts. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Aug 14, 2016 7:32 AM in response to pbbarb

I have the identical situation with my old ipod shuffle (2nd generation). The Cable / Dock is working as it works for my daughter's shuffle of the same vintage. Did you ever figure out how to get itunes and/or your computer to recognize your shuffle? When mine is plugged into the usb port I don't even have a blinking light. The unit does charge using my wall charger and I can play the old songs but I can't seem to update to new songs using itunes. Any further steps or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

iPod shuffle 2nd generation not recognized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.