Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I have to download all my songs again on my iPod touch

I tried to listen to some songs this morning however my iPod touch would not allow me to play any It's like I need to download them all from the cloud! When I got home I am able to download (I think from the cloud?) I have to do it artist by artist. Any ideas?

iPod touch

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2015 1:31 PM

Hello M0rris0n86,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

As I understand your post while you were away from home you were unable to listen to music that you could see on your iPod touch. Once you were back home you could then download the songs. This indicates you were seeing songs that were not yet downloaded on to your iPod touch, but rather were iTunes in the Cloud songs. A Wi-Fi connection is required to download them, thus why you were able to do so when you returned home. You can avoid this by enabling the option to only view songs which are stored in your iPod touch by disabling the Show All Music preference in the iTunes & App Store Settings.

iCloud and iTunes Match - iPod touch

Take care,

Alex H.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2015 1:31 PM in response to M0rris0n86

Hello M0rris0n86,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

As I understand your post while you were away from home you were unable to listen to music that you could see on your iPod touch. Once you were back home you could then download the songs. This indicates you were seeing songs that were not yet downloaded on to your iPod touch, but rather were iTunes in the Cloud songs. A Wi-Fi connection is required to download them, thus why you were able to do so when you returned home. You can avoid this by enabling the option to only view songs which are stored in your iPod touch by disabling the Show All Music preference in the iTunes & App Store Settings.

iCloud and iTunes Match - iPod touch

Take care,

Alex H.

May 2, 2015 8:50 AM in response to M0rris0n86

HI Alex, I have been having problems with my ipod roughly since the last apple update. The problem is this: I have roughly 1500 songs but for some reason cannot play them on my iPod touch although I could before. At the moment I have about 80 that I can listen to. I need to download the rest of my songs from my iMac. Before, this happened automatically in a similar fashion to when I bought a song it would automatically download. Now, I have no idea what the problem is. Do you know how I can down load these songs again. I have tried using a cable from the iPad to the iMac but no luck although I don't understand why I should need this anyway as I never before.

If you have any ideas I would appreciate your help.

Many thanks,

Stevie

May 2, 2015 9:28 AM in response to M0rris0n86

What exactly happens when you try to sync?

Does iTunes see the iPod?

Was the iPod previous synced to another iTunes library/computer?

Have you successfully synced from this iTunes library/computer before?

If so have you done anything like update iTunes on the computer since it last successfully synced?

Do the songs play in iTunes?

Does any media now sync to the iPod?

Do you have the right boxes checked to sync?

iTunes: Syncing media content to iOS devices and iPod

Try syncing using the manual method

Managing content manually on iPhone, iPad, and iPod

Last, backup and restore from backup

iOS: Back up and restore your iOS device with iCloud or iTunes

May 2, 2015 11:03 AM in response to lllaass

HI there, on the iMac I choose sync with this iPod over wifi in the options section.it then says it is syncing with iPod steps 1-3 but nothing seems to happen Although the audio section of the coloured bar rises slightly in terms of the number of songs but this is not reflected on the iPod. iTunes would seem to see the iPod as the detail of the iPod is visible on the screen I.e I click on the iPod icon and it brings up the iPod detail, capacity backups options. The iPod has never been synced to another itunes library or computer.

I Don't recall ever having to sync via cable before; it has always been automatic I.e. I would buy an album either through the iMac or iPad and it would appear on my iPod as a new purchase.

I can play my tunes through the iMac ok and the few tunes I have on my iPod I can play.

I will try your links out, thanks very much, but I don't understand what would have changed apart from the upgrade to the 8.3. I've never had any problems before I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your help with this, I was pretty close to launching the lot over the balcony.

STevie.

Why do I have to download all my songs again on my iPod touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.