Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect Dell laptop to Apple LED display 27

I'm about to buy a 27" Apple LED display (not the Thunderbolt one) to connect to my MacBook Pro 15". This is all fine.

For work I have a Dell laptop with a VGA and HDMI socket. Now here comes the question/problem, can I connect the Apple monitor to the Dell? The monitor has a cable with a male Mini Display-port connector. I have great difficulties finding an adapter from a Mini Display-port female to HDMI male.

I searched the web and multiple fora and didn't find a single solution that does the trick. But I did find this ('these' is actually a better word):

From Apple monitor Mini display-port male, to:

1. Mini Display-port female to Display-port male adapter. Connects to:
  2. Display port female to display-port female adapter. Connects to:
  3. Display-port male to HDMI female adapter. Connects to:
  4. HDMI male to HDMI male adapter. Connects to laptop

This whole lot costs +/- 58,- USD. I can't believe this is the only option out there (and that it will work...).

So in short, 3 questions:

• Can I connect a Windows Dell laptop to an Apple LED display?
  • Does this solution work?
  • Is there a better solution out there?

These 4 adapters look like they just pass on the signal. So no big block halfway down the cable that looks like it is doing something to the signal.

I don't want to use the VGA connector as I want to maintain a digital signal.

Thank a lot for any feedback/help in this area!

Apple LED Cinema Display 27-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 2:29 AM

That adapter combination won't work.

There is a HDMI to Mini DisplayPort converter, but with the 27" display, you will get only half resolution (1280x720 720p).

<http://www.kanex.com/xd>

4 replies

Connect Dell laptop to Apple LED display 27

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.