Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FileVault Recovery Key follow restore to new Mac?

I recently got a new MBP, and upon turning it on, I chose to do the restore from time machine backup from my old MBP. The old MBP had file vault encryption enabled and I have my recovery key written down and saved with Apple and the whole 9 yards. When I started the restore from time machine on the new mac, it asked if I wanted to enable file vault, which of course I said yes. However it never prompted me with a new recovery key or asked me anything about saving it with Apple. At the time, I just assumed that it was going to be the same key.

But now in thinking about it, I'm not so sure. I see file vault is on, but since there is no way I can see what the key is, I'm not sure if it's the same one. Does anyone know if it would in fact be the same key as before? Should I just turn off/on the encryption just so I can get a new key to be sure what it is? I don't want to find out I have the wrong key at the wrong time when I'm locked out.

Thanks

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 5:11 PM

1 reply

Apr 14, 2015 6:54 PM in response to evansdad

I encrypted my Mac before Yosemite and it was impossible to not see the recovery key when it was presented but there were a fairly large number of posts to this forum by people who turned on FileVault as part of the Yosemite upgrade who reported that they did not get a recovery key. I recently found the quote below in OS X Yosemite: Encrypt the contents of your Mac with FileVault

If the recovery key is hidden, click the triangle next to Show Recovery Key.

If it was me and I wasn't sure I would do just what you are thinking -- turn it off and after it is finished, turn it back on again and note the instructions in the above link about the possibility of the key being hidden and also the steps about storing it with Apple.

FileVault Recovery Key follow restore to new Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.