Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion 5.2 hangs/freezes on project browser screen

Downloaded FCPX 10.2, Compressor 4.2 and Motion 5.2 updates from App Store - FCPX and Compressor work fine but Motion 5.2 hangs on the Project Browser with the spinning beach ball of death. The Task Manager just reports "not responding".

I have trashed Motion prefs, trashed the app x 3, trashed the plist and re-downloaded x 3. Ran Disk Utility for permissions repair each time. Still no joy. Here's the header for the report:

Date/Time: 2015-04-14 14:52:22 -0700
OS Version: 10.10.3 (Build 14D131)
Architecture:x86_64

Report Version: 21

Command: Motion
Path: /Applications/Motion.app/Contents/MacOS/Motion
Version: 5.2 (262455)

Build Version: 1

Project Name:Motion

Source Version: 26245005045000000

App Item ID: 434290957

App External ID: 812093572

Parent: launchd [1]
PID: 722

Event: hang
Duration: 1.00s (process was unresponsive for 287 seconds before sampling)
Steps: 11 (100ms sampling interval)

Hardware model: MacPro5,1

Active cpus: 16

Fan speed: 799 rpm

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2015 2:18 PM

I finally figured it out. After doing everything else I could think of tech-wise, plus Googling every combination I could, I tried logging in as a Guest -

ET VOILA! There must be some setting that I cannot see in my regular login as admin that cause the Motion 5.2 app to hang at the Browser/Project window and then go Tarantino-memory leak on me and grab all the system RAM.

By creating a new user account (after making sure everything worked as a guest), all apps are happy and working again!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2015 2:18 PM in response to Bill Slater

I finally figured it out. After doing everything else I could think of tech-wise, plus Googling every combination I could, I tried logging in as a Guest -

ET VOILA! There must be some setting that I cannot see in my regular login as admin that cause the Motion 5.2 app to hang at the Browser/Project window and then go Tarantino-memory leak on me and grab all the system RAM.

By creating a new user account (after making sure everything worked as a guest), all apps are happy and working again!

Motion 5.2 hangs/freezes on project browser screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.