Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How did my son's iPod get disabled for over 23 million minutes?

He knows his passcode, but says his friends tried to guess his passcode. How many times does someone have to guess incorrectly to have the phone disabled for this long?

iPod touch (4th generation)

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 6:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 6:12 PM

If you enter an incorrect passcode more than 6 times, the iPod will be disabled. If you continue to enter the incorrect passcode, it will increase the amount of time it will be disabled. The only option now, besides entering the correct passcode, is to wipe the device and restore it from a recent backup. If there is no recent backup, then you'll have to start fresh. This article has instructions on how to restore your device if it is disabled: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204306

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2015 6:12 PM in response to Bkzs

If you enter an incorrect passcode more than 6 times, the iPod will be disabled. If you continue to enter the incorrect passcode, it will increase the amount of time it will be disabled. The only option now, besides entering the correct passcode, is to wipe the device and restore it from a recent backup. If there is no recent backup, then you'll have to start fresh. This article has instructions on how to restore your device if it is disabled: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204306

Apr 14, 2015 6:15 PM in response to Bkzs

Bkzs wrote:

He knows his passcode, but says his friends tried to guess his passcode. How many times does someone have to guess incorrectly to have the phone disabled for this long?

I don't know the exact number but it's not a lot. I wouldn't be surprised at fifteen or twenty tries. Look at it this way - fifteen tries are plenty IF the effort is being made by the legitimate owner. If not, it makes sense to lock the device.

You'll have to do a Restore to get access to the iPod. It's not difficult but it is time-consuming.

Apr 14, 2015 6:17 PM in response to Bkzs

Do you sync to iTunes? Connect it to the machine you sync with & see if the option to use the passcode returns without the delay.

The timeout is increased with each failed attempt, I'm not sure what would create a delay that long, I thought it stopped at 6 hours.

It starts with a minute, then 5… basically it's a good way for kids to 'hack' each other in class & stop them doing any work 🙂

Apr 14, 2015 6:22 PM in response to Drew Reece

Drew Reece wrote:

Do you sync to iTunes? Connect it to the machine you sync with & see if the option to use the passcode returns without the delay.

The timeout is increased with each failed attempt, I'm not sure what would create a delay that long, I thought it stopped at 6 hours.

It starts with a minute, then 5… basically it's a good way for kids to 'hack' each other in class & stop them doing any work 🙂

That's a good suggestion. I think that it will work.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.