Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I recover a corrupted powerpoint?

I have several powerpoint presentation I can't open. the message reads "the file may be corrupt, in use, not a type recognized by PowerPoint or the file extension may not match the internal format of the file". Please help, I made these presentations and have been using them for a long time, I need one to open in less than 36 hours, how do I save myself from having to rebuild 7 presentations. I have searched and tried every solution I could fine. They are ppt files that I made in the 2003 version and I am currently using 2010.

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 7:06 PM

6 replies

May 14, 2017 11:03 PM in response to albrownp

You can corrupt PPT Files by multiple methods.

1st Option

Move your PPT to a different location then Copy your presentation and paste it on other computer space.

2nd Option

Open presentation in MS word document:

try to open corrupt PowerPoint in MS Word

• Go to MS Word.

• Click on the Open button of the File menu.

• Select Files of type box and navigate to your corrupt PPT file

Option 3: Use Safe Mode

Run your PowerPoint in safe mode. Follow these steps to do it...

• Start.

• Then Select Run & type “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\your MS office version\Powerpnt.exe" /safe”. Then OK

• Restart your system, during restart press & press F8 button to start window in the safe mode.

• Open & see your PPT

Option 4: If with above method, you couldn't recover PPT files then you can try Third party, PPT Repair Tool.

Apr 15, 2015 8:28 AM in response to albrownp

Hi, Albrownp

I am not familiar with 2003 PPT vs 2010 PPT. Those sound like Windows versions of ppt, right?

If so, see this topic here

https://support.office.com/en-US/Article/Open-a-presentation-created-in-a-differ ent-version-of-PowerPoint-7f2f31e2-d4dd-4c1f-9e27-ba6fadf92d44

If they are Mac ppt, try making a duplicate of the file(s) first so you don't clobber it. Make sure they have the .ppt or .pptx extensions.

Then see if you can drag your copy on top of the Keynote (the Apple slide show program) or open Keynote and then try to open a copy of the file.

Or download LibreOffice and see if it will open it

https://www.libreoffice.org

Open LibreOffice first, then select your file to open

If you have any luck at all, don't give the opened file the same name. Save it with different name.

May 2, 2016 2:11 AM in response to albrownp

Way to Office 2011 AutoRecovery

Office > Office 2011 AutoRecovery. You can change the AutoRecovery folder location, and you SHOULD change it to a Dropbox (or iCloud) folder location.

The problem is, if you "Don't Save" when you close a file, the file will not be saved, AND the AutoRecover file will be deleted! Auurgh!Windows users, have the option to "Keep the last autosaved version.

But Mac users do not have that option!

But here's the trick: Time Machine may have created a Backup of the AutoRecover file! By default, Time Machine creates a backup once per hour, although you can change the backup frequency as desrcibed here:

Understand that it is better to plan in advance by saving frequently, and using Dropbox for your AutoRecovery folder, but if you have Time Machine you are likely able to recover your AutoRecover file after clicking "Don't Save".

"Enter Time Machine" by clicking the Time Machine icon on the menu bar

Navigate to the last Time Machine Backup

Navigate to the AutoRecovery folder, which by default is at Users > usernamehomefolder > Library > Application Support > Microsoft > Office > Office 2011 AutoRecovery

"Restore" the AutoRecover file (it will ask what folder you want to restore the file to)

Open the AutoRecover file, and re-save your recovered work.

Maybe you can try uFlysoft Data Recovery for Mac, it can recover empty trash on Mac only in three steps:

Step 1. Launch the software to scan the device where your files deleted

Step 2: Preview the scan result files and make mark if it is the one you find

Step 3: Recover files

Jun 8, 2016 5:24 AM in response to albrownp

No need to rebuild the files. Just try to perform few easy manual tricks to repair corrupt PowerPoint presentations. Don't use any paid software without prior examining. I never recommend professional software for recovery. I always look for manual tips and tricks first to solve my problem. I found this blog post a couple of months ago in which few manual tricks are given for repairing corrupt PowerPoint presentation files:

Repair PowerPoint Presentations with Easy Tricks | N. Sem's Blog

You can read this blog if you're looking relevant and effective solutions for you. I hope this would be helpful for you.

Thanks and best regards.

can I recover a corrupted powerpoint?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.