Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iDVD from iMovie

I am trying to create a DVD using iDVD from an iMovie I have created.

I have added clips and photos into iMovie, inserted audio, titles and transitions.

I have Shared this as a file (twice).

When I open iDVD I am unable to see the movies in iMovie to import. I can however see movies in iPhoto.

What do I do?

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 7:26 PM

8 replies

Apr 21, 2015 8:52 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Thanks KS,

yes this works. a bit odd however that i can see iPhoto listed movies but not iMovie listed movies.

The only problem now with iDVD is that it is forcing me to use a theme, which is stuffing up my iMovie text layout. Seems that the more editing you do in iMovie the harder it is to work with iDVD.

Any advice on how to make a simple DVD with a few chapters?

Apr 21, 2015 11:19 PM in response to sylvesterhouse

sylvesterhouse wrote:

... iDVD is that it is forcing me to use a theme, ...

That's how iDVD worked - you have allways to use a 'Theme'.

If you want a theme-less disc, you should use the auto-play feature in iDVD. Which asks for a theme either …

When you (re)install the old themes, there're very simple ones, which you additionally can 'mod' ad infinitum to your needs.

Had a website about that (omg, 2009!!), don't maintain it any more, but maybe of help:

https://sites.google.com/site/idvdmodding/backdrops-and-background

This 'modding-by-drag' n drop'-ability was the outstanding feature of iDVD, which made it exceptional to any other authoring tool. Apple stopped development 8-9y ago, and any hope for a iBluRay-version was burried, since SJ mentioned BluRay "a bag of hurt" - allthough Appe was member in a BluRay-consortium...

Will be interesting when iDVD will finally stop working - Apple makes for years a transition to new code (Quicktime >> AVFoundation), I'm surprised, that iDVD works with Yosemite, anyhow.- If your with DVDs, keep an old Mac alive just fo this purposes.-

… the canned templates were never my thing, too ... 😝

Apr 21, 2015 11:28 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

When you (re)install the old themes, there're very simple ones, which you additionally can 'mod' ad infinitum to your needs.

When I want a very simple menu I take the theme "brushed metal" and then change the background black. Very basic and simple.

Will be interesting when iDVD will finally stop working - Apple makes for years a transition to new code (Quicktime >> AVFoundation), I'm surprised, that iDVD works with Yosemite, anyhow.- If your with DVDs, keep an old Mac alive just fo this purposes.-

In our organization we have dedicated three Macintoshes to that exact purpose. Of course, many options exist in Windows. 😮

Apr 22, 2015 1:27 AM in response to Ziatron

Ziatron wrote:

... Of course, many options exist in Windows. 😮

For sure! Use the approbiate tool, which fullfills your needs, not Don' let you limit by the tools!

I know, there's a huge group of people (more the older ones ... ) who want a 'hard copy' of their videos. So, for a while, I hoped, disk-making will be continued as a 'hobby' in Cupertino, letting some 'interns/sabbaticals/volunteers' keep that segment alive (a bit...). But it doesn't look so ... When Apple axes something, it's forever 👿

On the other hand:

No commercial company, not even Roxio/Toast, offers a 'replacement' for iDVD, with the same degree usabilty, not even close .... maybe the 'huge group of people' isn't commercially huge enough .... 😁

Apr 22, 2015 6:13 AM in response to sylvesterhouse

Why is there no iDVD on my new Mac? How do I get it and how do I install it?

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3673

To burn a DVD with iDVD from the latest version of iMovie, you have to export the movie using the Export button and select 480p as the size. Open iDVD and start a new project, then drag that exported movie file into the iDVD menu window, avoiding any drop zones you see.

iDVD from iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.