Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photostream not updating on Mac Photos

Anybody else having issue with Photostream? I had two iPhoto libraries: One I was actively using, and one I've been hanging onto to merge one day. When I updated to Photos app, I read the pages on opening multiple libraries, hoping that this was finally my opportunity to merge the two. Alas, this only allowed me to successfully open each library, one at a time. When it became clear that there was going to be no way to merge the two libraries within Photo, I decided to just go back to opening my default iPhoto library with Photos and would import from the old iPhoto library manually some day in the future. My question/problem (finally, I know): It doesn't appear that new photos from my devices, since configuring Photos on Mac, are showing up in my Mac Photos photo stream. They stop on the day I installed it, and I don't see any way to force a sync. What did I do wrong? What am I missing?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 8:10 PM

49 replies

Jan 31, 2017 9:09 PM in response to leonfromearth

This can happen sometimes and I use this to fix it. Open the Preferences of Photos by going Photos > Preferences. Turn My Photo Stream off. Now close out of Photos wait a minute or so and open Photos back up.

Go back into the Preferences, turn Photo Stream back on, then take a photo on your iPhone. That action will trigger iCloud and your Mac will start pulling the images into Photos.

Apr 13, 2017 11:51 AM in response to leonfromearth

I solved this problem by giving my iPhone to my son and buying a cheap android phone that sends all my photos to google as fast as i can take them. I defected from PC to Apple a decade ago because Apple "just worked". Now I'm defecting from Apple for the same reason. I don't want to read that 134 other people have this problem and then try to figure out what 134 experts think might fix it. I just want it to work. Elvis has left the building.

May 3, 2017 6:27 PM in response to leonfromearth

iPhoto was replaced by the Apple Photos app quite a long time ago. As such, I am quite surprised this thread hasn't been updated with clear and easy to understand instructions for the Photos app.

I myself shoot photos with my iPhone 7. Those photos get automatically uploaded to my Photostream (no, I do not use Apple's paid "iCloud Photo Library"). I then open the Photos app on my iMacs or MacBook Pros and see all the photos. The problem is this. I edit my photos. Who doesn't?! And I edit them on one device, usually one of my iMacs. But the problem is that my edited photos are not automatically sent to My Photo Stream.

I would really love it if my edited photos would automatically be sent to My Photo Stream, replacing the unedited originals. But if that cannot happen, then how do I manually accomplish it?

Thanks.

May 3, 2017 6:37 PM in response to JDW1

I would really love it if my edited photos would automatically be sent to My Photo Stream, replacing the unedited originals.

Of course - use the correct service which is iCloud Photo Library , a sync service - MyPhotoStream is NOT a sync service but is a one time transfer of new photos -- and the originals are are never modified - edits are applied to the original when the photos are viewed with no changes ever made to the originals

With ICPL all changes made on any device (additions, deletions, organization or edits) are synced to all devices - With MyPhotoStream only the new photos are streamed and no changes are ever sent

LN

May 3, 2017 6:45 PM in response to LarryHN

I know I can use the Apple PHOTOS app on my iMac (the Mac on which I've edited the photos) to EXPORT (the edited versions, NOT the originals) as maximum quality JPEGs with meta data and location info to a folder on my Desktop. I can then delete out all those photos from the PHOTOS app, and then reimport by dragging all the photos in the folder on my Desktop into PHOTOS. That updates My Photo Stream, even on my iPhone. But on my iPhone, if I then delete out all the photos (originals, which were taken on that same iPhone) from Camera Roll, if I then switch to the My Photo Stream album and select one or all of the edited versions, I am not allowed to move them to Camera Roll! What the heck!? And then I would need to do manual labor on all my other Macs in the PHOTOS app too. It's a mess. Surely there must be a better way than to use Apple's paid "iCloud Photo Library" service?

Thanks.

May 3, 2017 7:33 PM in response to LarryHN

Fine. Understood. Even so, I will not be buying the iCloud Photo Library service, regardless of its benefits. But perhaps you can answer me one thing unrelated to iCloud Photo Library...

Why is it that I cannot move photos from My Photo Stream to Camera Roll when using my iPhone 7? The photos are right there! Why ban me from manually importing them into Camera Roll? I see Camera roll listed when I try to move the photos, but Camera Roll is grayed out for some reason. Why? Is there a workaround? (Please don't say iCloud Photo Library, because I won't buy into that service even if it is a workaround. Surely there must be ANOTHER free workaround?)

Thanks.

Apr 14, 2015 8:13 PM in response to leonfromearth

HI,

Maybe try it this way this is what I did with mine because I did not migrate and didn't know about that either.

and really have the sidebar so because it will help you get the pictures organized

Photos application for Mac Instructions that might help!

1. On your iPad,iPhone keep the iCloud on in settings for Photos.
  2. if you have not opened the New Photos application yet to have it transfer your photos from iPhoto let it Transfer the Pictures.
  3. once you have all the pictures from iPhoto to Photos then in Photos go to Preferences
  4. there is general and iCloud tab and go to the iCloud and only uncheck the iCloud button that will make it so it doesn't sync with your iPhone and iPad for Photos.
  5. Then in Photos go up to View and press show sidebar because with that view you can move your pictures easier to albums snd delete or move any pictures or make new albums
  6. For Duplicates if you have a big pile in a row and I mean not like every other picture of the same pictures on the keyboard Hold down the shift button. or the other way is to Hold down the Command buttom that is right by the space bar then on the trackpad or mouse click once on the picture you want to delete and do a bunch at a time then on the last picture of that pile either right click the picture and delete or go up to the edit button which is next to file on the top left and click delete in edit.
  7. when you are all done with moving around your pictures or whatever go back to Preferences and turn on iCloud and make sure you have the optimize Mac Storage and then you are done! I hope this makes sense and works for you! here are the 2 pictures I'm talking about in settings.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Apr 15, 2015 4:18 AM in response to Sparychess

OK - Not getting better. I unchecked "My Photo Stream" in the iCloud tab, hoping turning it off then turning it back on would kickstart it into syncing again, and now the Photo Stream album is gone completely. There is no Photo Stream folder at the top of the age anymore, even after rechecking the "My Photostream box in settings. Help, please.

Photostream not updating on Mac Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.