Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt SSD TRIM option

Hi there.

I run iMac 27 (late 2013) with Core i5 CPU and 1 Tb HDD on board.

As you may know internal HDD's performance is not good in comparison with SSD, so I decided to buy external Thunderbolt SSD at apple web store and to instal OS X on it to increase system productivity.

However I read a lot concerning issues with impossibility to activate TRIM option on 3rd party's SSD manufactures. It seems TRIM is vital option for any SSD, and here is the question: shall TRIM be enabled, when running OS X on external Thunderbolt SSD (for example LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt SSD and etc.)

Cheers.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 12:36 AM

11 replies

Apr 15, 2015 2:02 PM in response to Tetis

I don't know for sure but I doubt very seriously if Apple supports TRIM in any external enclosure, regardless of which SSD you use. I think someone who is actually using a thunderbolt SSD for a boot drive about how fast it really is. I'd venture a guess that the internal HDD is nearly as fast as an external SSD. If I were you I'd look to see what OWC offers.

Apr 15, 2015 3:44 PM in response to SeaPapp

Mike Sombrio wrote:

I don't know for sure but I doubt very seriously if Apple supports TRIM in any external enclosure, regardless of which SSD you use. I think someone who is actually using a thunderbolt SSD for a boot drive about how fast it really is. I'd venture a guess that the internal HDD is nearly as fast as an external SSD. If I were you I'd look to see what OWC offers.

Very insightful advice, IMO. A Thunderbolt SSD isn't going to be cheap, but it's going to be fast and reliable. No need to worry about TRIM.

Apr 16, 2015 4:19 AM in response to SeaPapp

On one hand Apple tells TRIM must be activated at any SSD build in Mac. Huh, nothing strange, they are interested to sell their own SSD drives as much as they can, excluding 3rd party manufacturers.

One the other hand OWC as non-authorized company tells that there is no need to active TRIM at all, what looks normal too.

By where is reality? May be there is any kind of long-term tests or stuff like this?

If without TRIM SSD works 3 year instead of 5 with activated option, may be there is no need to keep it in mind then.

Apr 16, 2015 6:37 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I did talk to them before I decided to buy their drive as opposed to a Samsung. They use what they call over provisioning but if you read the article I posted they can still benefit from TRIM. OWC says they don't need TRIM because they know that most users won't disable kext signing in Yosemite in order to use it, and they still need to sell drives. Cindori states that TRIM is beneficial because they need to sell TRIM Enabler software.....somewhere in the middle lies the truth but it's very difficult to come by.

Thunderbolt SSD TRIM option

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.