Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do instruments in Mainstage 3 compare to Mainstage 2?

Somehow I've only just discovered MainStage 3 is out.

I have Mainstage 2 with Logic Pro 9 at the moment. I'm not planning on upgrading to Logic X as I don't use it enough but I have been using mainstage fairly regularly. However, I don't use about 85% of it's features - mainly just literally use the MIDI voices for playing in gigs as I'm a keys player.

So I'm basically wondering how the range of midi voices compares between Mainstage 2 and 3? Is it the same plus a few more or are most of the sets brand new? Specifically I'm interested in piano sounds (which in Logic 9/Mainstage 2 really lacked any depth), Electric Pianos (they were pretty good...) and organs.

I'm really interested to hear what people think.
Cheers

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 4:32 AM

6 replies

Apr 15, 2015 7:11 AM in response to alexl102

The evb3 has been updated and renamed to Vintage B3. It received new distortion modes , which sounds more like a Leslie tube amp. And the Rotor cabinet has been revised. Very good simulation. I compared it to real Leslie recordings and you can just drop it it, difference is very small. Key click is more clicky. This alone makes it worth upgrading,

The EVP88, which is called Vintage Epiano, got a few new models, which are more realistic.

The other pianos are sample based. Just download all the content, that comes with Mainstage. My experience is, that if you tweak the velocity mapping a bit, the pianos are much more playable. Therefore, you can use those MIDI plug-ins, which allow velocity processing and various other things.

DaCaptain

Apr 15, 2015 7:21 AM in response to alexl102

The acoustic pianos in Mainstage 3 I believe are basically the same sample set as in MS2, but they're EQ'd and processed better. If looking for better pianos, there are many acoustic piano third party virtual instruments to choose from that you can use within MainStage. The electric pianos in MS3 are much improved. In MS2, the EP's retriggered notes with increasing velocity each time the same key was hit when the sustain pedal was pressed, causing an annoying and unnatural response. That has been fixed in MS3.

Other new features are MIDI FX plugins in the channel strip, including a very cool arpeggiator and and MIDI Scripter. A new plugin, Retro Synth, is also an excellent addition.

Apr 15, 2015 11:40 AM in response to alexl102

I use Synthogy Ivory II(about $329). It has rich, detailed Steinway, Bosendorfer, and Yamaha grand samples. Also, you might consider the Ivory II American Steinway D($189). I'm hearing great things about VI Labs' Ravenscroft 275($199).

Velocity mapping really helps playability and response for any pianos. A few photos will illustrate it.

How do instruments in Mainstage 3 compare to Mainstage 2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.