Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos, Smart album to find photos with unknown faces?

I try to systematically name faces I want to name or delete those I don't want. In iPhoto, I've had a smart album with the criterion that Face is unnamed, showing me all photos where there faces I have not named.

In Photos, the option to select "unnamed" when choosing Face is does not exist. I've not been able to find any workarounds to create a smart album that achieves the same.

Anyone with ideas how this can be done?

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 3:57 AM

22 replies

Jul 5, 2017 8:44 PM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad wrote:

There is no easy workaround except to add every known face as "is not".

Another feature left out of Photos. Be sure to tell Apple what missing features you'd like restored in Photos via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html

Here's a comparison of the two apps:

Photos 2.0 vs iPhoto 9.6.1: Features and Capabilities

Thanks, bro. I've never known about this feature before. It works for me.

Jul 6, 2017 2:58 AM in response to m.ehinger

1. Enter the name "Unknown" in the diaglogue, and press enter (or the "Continue" button).
  2. If Photos finds faces similar to those you just added, click the button "Add and Continue".

This will influence the face recognition algorithm. You are telling Photos that there is a person that is looking like everyone else, and Photos may no longer be able to recognise the other faces of the persons you named, because new faces now may be recognised as the "unknown" person.

Jun 28, 2017 2:49 AM in response to BJ4Rock

Jon-Eric's solution with search rule "Person is not %" works perfectly, thank you very very much!

It also finds all the photos with no auto-detected faces which I consider a feature: I made a keyword "no people", assigned a hotkey to it and filter by both "not %" and "Keyword is not no people" so I eventually will cover all the pictures with either assigning the names or putting new face circles.

I'm also considering another keyword — "don't want to name these"

May 28, 2015 12:40 PM in response to MojoBaer

MojoBaer wrote:

Here's a workaround:

Go to Faces and select all the face icons.

Then bring up info.

Add a keyword 'FaceID' to all the photos that have faces

Then you can create a smart album where FaceID is not a keyword.

Sorry what does this do exactly? I've done what you suggested, but I have photos in that part album, of for example, my car, photos with no faces (not un-named faces) etc in?

thanks

Aug 15, 2015 4:25 AM in response to QwertyMan11

I did try this thing with Smart Album and a couple of rules "face = [NAME]" ('cause I have less then 12 faces...), but it doesn't work anyway. It does make a selection of all photos that don't have my faces in it, but not just the ones with a "no name"-face. Adding a rule with "face = [EMPTY]" doesn't cut it and adding a rule "face = no name" doesn't cut it either...

Hope someone has the one and only solution to this once so simple question in iPhoto...!

Photos, Smart album to find photos with unknown faces?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.