Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power Issue When Running Games On Windows

Over the last week I have been experiencing random power outages on my iMac. These outages would occur typically while I'm playing games (FIFA 15, GTA V) on my Windows 8 partition via Bootcamp. These games are being played within graphics card limitations and do not have any running issues. Although, the power outages can be predicted if the game begins to suffer framerate issues.

Once the power is out, the iMac won't restart unless I remove the plug and put it back in the power outlet. I am using a good quality power surge protector, and I have alternated between wall outlets and surge protectors. The issue has persisted regardless of this.

I ran a hardware check three times and found no issues. I reset the PRAM on Yosemite as well, but the error still persists.

What can be done in order to fix my issue? What could be causing it?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), Windows 8

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 6:17 AM

12 replies

May 25, 2017 12:38 AM in response to Pugberto

I also have this issue with my late 2012 iMac in Windows 10. Happens on certain games. I thought it was because of the GPU getting too hot but it happens sometimes as the game as loaded, before the GPU even gets warm.

The iMac just shuts off instantly. It's done it in macOS also.

Did you ever find a fix?

I guess its either the PSU, or maybe the HDD recall issue (I never got chance to take mine back to be replaced).

Apr 15, 2015 10:06 AM in response to Pugberto

Pugberto wrote:

Once the power is out, the iMac won't restart unless I remove the plug and put it back in the power outlet.

Does your surge protector have current limiting features? This can also indicate that the PSU in the iMac is failing. If there are other devices plugged into the Surge Protector, do they stay on, even when the iMac cannot restart?

Apr 16, 2015 4:47 AM in response to Pugberto

It depends on how many devices it is protecting. It seems to be very reasonable. Since you have tested using wall outlets, the surge protector is not as significant as the other iMac power issue. Does the same behavior occur when plugged into wall socket. If yes, then the SP is not an issue.

Can you run a Apple Hardware Test on the iMac - Using Apple Hardware Test - Apple Support? It may not catch all issues, but it is good start.

Apr 16, 2015 4:50 AM in response to Loner T

It has occurred on the wall outlet as well. So I guess it isn't the surge protector.

I have run a hardware test three times and found no troubles. I also reset the PRAM. I've also gone through my Windows partition and ensured that all the software and drivers are up to date. Boot Camp is also up to date as well.

I'm pretty stumped.

Apr 17, 2015 9:29 AM in response to Pugberto

Destructive surges are hundreds of thousands of joules. Those spec numbers define a near zero protector.

However you have zero reasons to suspect a surge. A surge means hardware damage - a computer no longer boots. You have defined symptoms of something completely different and unrelated.

Best protection at the computer is already inside a computer. You have described what may be a protective lock out feature. Other anomalies (some from AC mains) may trigger that lockout. The lockout can only be cleared by a complete disconnect from AC mains.

Meanwhile, anomalies that might trigger that lockout are completely ignored by that protector. Take another spec number from its box. Its let-through voltage may be 775 volts. That means the protector does absolutely nothing until 230 volts well exceeds 775 volts. If that situation exists, you are also replacing other damaged appliances such as refrigerator, smoke detectors, dishwasher, GFCI or RCD, clocks, or CFL light bulbs.

List of other suspect that might cause those symptoms are long. And none are averted by a power strip protector.

Is voltage too low? Attach a light bulb to the same power strip. Normal voltage is even when an incandescent bulb dims to 40% intensity. Does that light bulb dim? If not, also ignore recommendations that 'fear' voltage problems.

Power Issue When Running Games On Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.