Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nudge/Move just audio track to? (to sync)

HI all,

On iMovie, i am importing audio from an audio recorder (Zoom H4n) and video (mp4) from a Canon Power Shot 120. I can import both fine. Usually I bring in video 1st. Then I import the audio file (wav) BUT it "couples" with the video track that I imported 1st . So then Im not able to nudge or move either audio or video right or left separately. I need to nudge the audio track only to sync the audio track to the video track but its "glued" to the video track. Help!

Tks

Seb

Imac, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 7:49 AM

9 replies

Apr 16, 2015 1:03 AM in response to Sebastian4386

you managed to create somehow a 'compound'.clip in iMovie - which version was that??

As you see in your screenshot: the added audio is in a yellow 'container' with the cams material...

=> can not moved separtley …

Plan A)

Apply your cams material first to the project.

Then select your audio and hit Q - as in 'q-nnected' .. ok, note2myself,don't try to be funny in foreign language, Karsten, it's 'connected'

or ...

don't drag the audio clip ON the existing video, but 'under' that track.

User uploaded file

should allow you to move the green bar independantly from video ....

(just noticed: there's no shortcut for nudging, as in FCPX, . and , allow there a very precise movement...)

Plan B)

double click that compound in your Project - what happens?

Apr 16, 2015 2:21 PM in response to Sebastian4386

Hello. I only have experience with iMovie 10 and iMovie 6(HD), not 11. the other day I did exactly the same with iMovie 10 - filmed a concert and recorded it also with the H4N. I made a new event and imported the video (1080 50p converted with pavtube). Then I chose "new movie" and dragged all the video down to the lower zone (where you compose all your clips). I then imported the H4N wav file with the import command (cmd-I). It appeared at the very bottom of the video files in the upper left area where all the imported video shows up. I marked it and dragged it down to the lower composing area and it came in too just fine, underneath all the video. I could click on it and hold and drag it to left and right just fine, no problem. This was without detaching any audio from the original video file. Hope this helps. Dave.

Apr 16, 2015 11:22 PM in response to Sebastian4386

Sebastian4386 wrote:

… But I dont understand why when I drag in the audio from the recorder (from desktop) it creates the compound track???

Your version 9 of iMovie is <cough> a "regular" <cough> one? I mean, AppStore, <cough> legally purchased one? ... 😉

And a word about version numbers:

we talk about iMovie11=internal version# 9.08, or iMovie09=internal version# 8,xx

What is your internal version, or even 'built' number (ust click "about iMovie)

I found an old folder, containing my ol' iMovie 11/vers.9, and, trying all sorts of key-combos and tricks, I can not create a compound in iMovie!

User uploaded file

(btw: would be rather funny, if just me can create compounds! In the FCPX section, I'm well known as the one claiming "Compounds are evil!" LOL)

Nudge/Move just audio track to? (to sync)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.