Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't put computer to 'Sleep' with OS X 10.10.3

Hello,

After I upgraded to OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 from 10.10.2 I cannot put the computer to 'Sleep' mode. If I close the lid, nothing happens, while selecting 'Sleep' from the Apple menu only turns off the screen and lets everything else run normally. How can I solve this?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 7:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 9:05 AM

Test after each of the following steps that you haven’t already tried:

Step 1

Take all the applicable steps suggested in this support article. That's the starting point for any further effort to solve the problem. Skipping any of those steps may mean that the problem won't be solved.

Note that, as stated in the article, the computer will not sleep if some sharing services are enabled.

Step 2

From the menu bar, select

 ▹ System Preferences ▹ Accessibility ▹ Speakable Items: Off

Step 3

Select

 ▹ System Preferences ▹ Bluetooth ▹ Advanced...

and uncheck both boxes marked

Open Bluetooth Setup Assistant at startup if...

Step 4

In the Printers & Scanners preference pane, delete any duplicate printers.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2015 9:05 AM in response to Filippo1

Test after each of the following steps that you haven’t already tried:

Step 1

Take all the applicable steps suggested in this support article. That's the starting point for any further effort to solve the problem. Skipping any of those steps may mean that the problem won't be solved.

Note that, as stated in the article, the computer will not sleep if some sharing services are enabled.

Step 2

From the menu bar, select

 ▹ System Preferences ▹ Accessibility ▹ Speakable Items: Off

Step 3

Select

 ▹ System Preferences ▹ Bluetooth ▹ Advanced...

and uncheck both boxes marked

Open Bluetooth Setup Assistant at startup if...

Step 4

In the Printers & Scanners preference pane, delete any duplicate printers.

Apr 16, 2015 10:12 AM in response to Linc Davis

I, too, have found that after installing 10.10.3, my MacBook Pro does not go to sleep when I shut the lid or when I select Sleep from the Apple menu. It does, however, still go to sleep while open after a period of inactivity, consistent with the settings in Energy Saver.

I have done all the following, none of which has made any difference:

• Verified that the problem occurs for all users.
  • Verified that the problem occurs when booted in safe mode.
  • Verified that the problem occurs when no applications are open (other than Finder).
  • Restored defaults in Energy Saver.
  • Reset SMC.
  • Reset NVRAM/PRAM.
  • Verified that no external devices are connected.
  • Verified that "Wake for network access" is not checked in Energy Saver.
  • Verified that Bluetooth is turned off and that both Bluetooth Setup Assistant boxes in the Bluetooth preference pane are unchecked.
  • Verified that I have no duplicate printers.
  • Verified that nothing in the Sharing preference pane is checked.
  • Repaired Disk Permissions.

It may be completely unrelated but I suffered a kernel panic two days ago, the first I've had in years. But otherwise, I have noticed no problems whatsoever with 10.10.3.

What now?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Apr 16, 2015 1:59 PM in response to Filippo1

Hey, I have a MacBook Pro (late 2013), Retina 13" inch.

After updating to 10.10.3 it stopped sleeping when lid closed.

Here's how to fix it:

Resetting NVRAM

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
  5. Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
  6. Release the keys.

Apr 27, 2015 1:57 PM in response to Arsen Jangiryan

I haven't found many reports of this problem so it's hard to know how widespread it is, but I'm starting to suspect that it is a bug in 10.10.3. After trying all the steps that I outlined above I finally erased my internal hard drive, installed a fresh copy of 10.10.3 from a bootable USB drive, and then tested it from a brand-new user account before using Migration Assistant to restore anything from my previous setup. That didn't fix it. I'm out of ideas. If I'm right that this is a bug, it will probably help for other affected users to submit bug reports to Apple.

Apr 28, 2015 11:47 AM in response to Daniel Holt2

What I've discovered is that the issue, at least for me on my new MacBook Pro, extends beyond the refusal of the computer to take its required naps. It also includes:

1. Pressing the option key and then selecting sound does not produce the expanded menu that it should.

2. I also can't do continuous selection using the shift key and that extends to all applications.

There may be others I haven't discovered yet. So I agree that it may very well be a bug in OS 10.10 which may go back to .2 as well as the current upgrade.

The only way I've been able to fix it, and this fixes all the issues, is to use the PRAM reset. But it, too, is only temporary.

Can't put computer to 'Sleep' with OS X 10.10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.