Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac storage full during upload to iCloud Photo Library

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)

1.3 GHz Intel Core i5

4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB

OS X 10.10.3

I'm uploading my Photos Library to the iCloud Photo Library because I don't have enough space left in my Mac (around 7 GB left).

When I started uploading, it went down to 3 GB, and now stopped uploading because Photos is telling me that "Your Mac Storage is full. This Mac is no longer updating because there is not enough space to store optimized versions of your photos and videos."

I don't understand why it's taking up space when it's supposed to minimize space taken by my library.

I have upgraded my iCloud Storage to 200GB, so there should be no problem with that (iPhoto Library is only ~120GB)

Would appreciate any help!

User uploaded file

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 6:39 PM

Hi,

I had the same issue.

The new Photos app uses a library separate from iPhoto. You can find both of them in your ~/Pictures folder. Once Photos has created its library (from the iPhotos one), it _seems_ to be safe to remove the old iPhotos one. Doing this will free up a lot of space, or did for me, at least.

However, please be sure that you have a backup of the iPhotos library before you do this! I could be wrong (or deranged), or your machine's setup might be different, or perhaps your Photos library hasn't correctly built from iPhotos. Etc.

Something pretty neat seems to happening when Photos creates its library from iPhotos because my machine didn't have anything like enough storage to achieve this (I had about 15 Gig free, and my iPhotos library was about 100 Gig). I suspect that it Photos probably shares the images files with iPhoto in some way, but I don't know. Anyway – removing the iPhoto library did still fee up lots of space for me.

I'm don't know why Photos increases its storage requirement during the upload phase. Perhaps it has to keep all the original images locally until they are all uploaded, rather than removing the high quality images as it goes along. I've decided to keep the high resolution images locally anyway now: they're useful for printing and such.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2015 6:39 PM in response to pierodriguez

Hi,

I had the same issue.

The new Photos app uses a library separate from iPhoto. You can find both of them in your ~/Pictures folder. Once Photos has created its library (from the iPhotos one), it _seems_ to be safe to remove the old iPhotos one. Doing this will free up a lot of space, or did for me, at least.

However, please be sure that you have a backup of the iPhotos library before you do this! I could be wrong (or deranged), or your machine's setup might be different, or perhaps your Photos library hasn't correctly built from iPhotos. Etc.

Something pretty neat seems to happening when Photos creates its library from iPhotos because my machine didn't have anything like enough storage to achieve this (I had about 15 Gig free, and my iPhotos library was about 100 Gig). I suspect that it Photos probably shares the images files with iPhoto in some way, but I don't know. Anyway – removing the iPhoto library did still fee up lots of space for me.

I'm don't know why Photos increases its storage requirement during the upload phase. Perhaps it has to keep all the original images locally until they are all uploaded, rather than removing the high quality images as it goes along. I've decided to keep the high resolution images locally anyway now: they're useful for printing and such.

Apr 15, 2015 7:12 PM in response to benjfromlewes

Hey benjfromlewes. Thanks for helping out!

I was thinking about deleting the old iPhoto Library, but then (like what you think) it seems that Photos and iPhoto are sharing files, even though they're separate. Because I only had 7 GB left when I updated to Photos and that created ~100 GB library, so it's impossible that I have an invisible extension.

I can't wait to delete it though, but I think I'll wait until after uploading everything to the cloud--just to be extra sure.

It's working again now, I deleted some movies and restarted. This increased my space to 5.5 GB. I've been monitoring it since and noticed that Photos brought it down to 4 GB, going up and down slightly from there. But it hasn't stopped since. Hoping it'll continue on like this and not require any more space.

May 26, 2015 7:07 AM in response to pierodriguez

One question - do you have TimeMachine turned on? My Mac appeared not to start re-arranging files until I turned this on.

I had a similar issue, with only about 5GB of storage, but once my Mac had uploaded the initial lot to iCloud and I turned TimeMachine on, it appeared to start rearranging files. My MacBook Air 128GB is now optimising storage for around 10% free.

I can only upload around 12GB of photos to the Mac at a time, but I have done this may be 6 times now and each time it eventually increases storage back to 12GB free.

Nov 7, 2015 8:56 AM in response to pierodriguez

I ran into the same problem and it perplexed me for days. At first, I thought I'd have to upgrade to El Capitan to fix it, but after reading the reviews, I decided to hold off. Then after reading this thread, I decided to try something and just rename and move the Photos library to another folder in the home directory -- nothing more than that. And lo and behold, that "unclogged" the process and now my Photos library is synced with icloud.com and my iOS devices. I did move the Photos library back to where it was and rename it back to Photos, by the way ... all seems fine so far. I can't explain it, but that's what I did to fix this problem.

Mac storage full during upload to iCloud Photo Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.