Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

RAM trouble (4MEM/9/40000000: 0xb865f398)

I have an iMac 21.5" (mid 2010). Off and on over the past year I have had random shut downs "because of an unexpected error". Recently it has gotten much worse. Firefox has crashed a lot, or any other app that is more intensive. I reformatted my iMac, but that didn't help. I ran the Apple Hardware Test, and it gave the error code:

4MEM/9/40000000: 0xb865f398

From what I know, this is related to the RAM. I have four 4GB Kingston Tech modules installed. I removed all but one, then ran the Hardware Test again. After going through all four modules, all the tests stated "No Trouble Found". Then I ran I module in each port to check if a port was bad, and still found no trouble. I've run two at a time and three at a time, but still "No Trouble Found". The only time I get the error message is when all four modules are installed.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? Even if I leave only three modules installed (which didn't give an error message when I ran the Hardware Test) I still have frequent crashes and freezes. I've got OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 installed.

Thanks for the help!

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 15, 2015 7:58 AM

6 replies

Apr 15, 2015 8:04 AM in response to Classical iMac

Install the original RAM that shipped with the Mac and then test. If it is OK (I suspect it is) replace the Kingston RAM (which tends to be problematic in iMacs) with a higher quality RAM from either Crucial or OWC, purchase directly from either vendor. iMacs are sensitive to RAM and demand high quality RAM rather than value RAM.

Your issue is one of the following:

• Failed RAM
  • Incorrect RAM
  • Unseated RAM

Aug 15, 2015 3:32 PM in response to Classical iMac

I am in no way trying to bad mouth your choice of ram but Kensington is not your best choice.

Through the years Apple products have shown that they are very picky when it comes to Ram upgrades.

http://www.crucial.com

and

Memory for iMac 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, & now 32GB - OWC Certified RAM for Apple iMac with Lifetime Warranty

Both have shown to be the best there is on the market for all Apple products. Both, have Lifetime Warranties.

If you choose you can download the app from Crucial and they will not only scan your machine they will tell you exactly what you need to Max Out your Ram and will give you the cost and everything you need to know.

Good Luck and Cheers

Don Morgan

RAM trouble (4MEM/9/40000000: 0xb865f398)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.