Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod sync

I have a 3rd gen U2 20 gig iPod, latest iTunes, up to date OS.

I have about 10 CD's worth of stuff that I do not want to copy over to my iPod. But I am still adding music that I do want to move over to the iPod. But I am having a difficult time figuring out exactly what I need to do to keep me happy with the updates.

I did have the software configured to automatically update, but now I don't want those 10 CD's on my iPod. When I change the settings to manually update, the iPod gets wiped and it takes forever to refill. I've tried to manually delete the 10 CD's of material (all 2 or 4 minute "chapters" of sales training) but then I don't seem to be able to add any new music that I have put into my G4.

I have no doubt that I am doing something wrong. The manual does not cover the latest iTunes, and I am getting somewhat frustrated.

TIA

G4 MDD 1.25 dual, Mac OS X (10.4.8), U2 special edition.

Posted on Oct 20, 2006 3:12 PM

5 replies

Oct 21, 2006 6:14 AM in response to Matthew Wensley

If you want to keep updating automatically but don't want to update everything, choose the update option " Sync Music - Selected playlists" in iTunes 7. This allows you allows you to select specific playlists to update or to create a playlist specifically for iPod and drag the tracks you want into it. If you tire of the list and want to change it, you just add or remove the songs you don't want. The ones you take out out remain in the library to be used whenever you feel like a change. Make your playlist a Smart playlist and limit the size to just below the advertised capacity of your iPod ( for example, around 18000MB for a 20GB). You can read more about playlists and updating automatically at these links:
iTunes Mac 7.0 - Loading songs onto iPod automatically
iTunes: Creating playlists of your favorite songs
How to create a Smart Playlist with iTunes

Oct 27, 2006 1:56 PM in response to Zevoneer

Zevoneer -

Sorry to be replying to a prior question, but I do have the ability to creat my own questions to post...anyway, my question is:

I went to sync my iPod to my PC just as I always have and this time it will not sync and it seems to think my iPod is now an external drive (F:). I've followed the quick suggestions on support pages and they do not seem to work. Any thoughts on how I can restore my sycn so it will actually update my pod and and not think its the F drive??

iPod sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.